GT 220 is noisy

Ultiweap

Hi all,

I just bought an Nvidia GT220 1G DDR3 and when I put it on my PC I found the fan very noisy and I would like to know what is the problem?

Some GPU's, especially those with small fans, tend to be very loud, even when not under load. Just in case though, you can make sure it is not overheating with a tool like MSI Afterburner. If the temperatures are under control, you can use Afterburner to reduce the fan speed.

NVIDIA recommends a 300W PSU or greater, so you may be overdrawing your PSU. While this probably won't physically damage your video card, it might reduce its performance or cause your PSU to fail.

Ok I understand and the card is not in the PC. I'm thinking of buying a PSU between 400W to 500W, but for the noisy fan problem what should I do? MSI Afterburner don't work as I read from googling that this card fan is one speed only it cannot be regulated via software so I have a fan of same size removed from an old PSU and two cable as the one on the card you think I may remove the fan and heatsink and make the change?

If your spare fan will fit on the card, go ahead and make the switch. If you do so, be sure to check on the card's temps, to make sure the new fan is pushing enough air.

Here's another idea: If the card runs pretty cool (say, no more than 60 degrees or so under load) you could try rewiring the fan to run directly off 5V or 7V from your PSU. This will significantly reduce the fan speed. You can do this by splicing the fan's wires to the red and black wires from a 4 pin power extender (for 5V) or the yellow and red wire ( (for 7V). The The card's temps will increase a lot, but as long as they stay below around 80-90 degrees, the card will run fine.

Ok, The fact is that the card is only two pin fan with black and red wire. How do I do it then? For the fan I already have one and it fit I check the screws that's ok. But the problem is that I don't know how to remove it and do you know where I can get a tutorial or video to do it? I searched but in vain

Normally the fan is just screwed to the heatsink. If you remove the entire heatsink from the card, it should be easy to locate the screws securing the fan. Removing the heatsink from the card will require either unscrewing it or removing push clips.

Yes I found that it is screwed to the heat sink and I need to remove heatsink first.. but I found that the heatsink it connected to the card and I would like to know that if it can be remove safetly without causing any problem to the card?

Yes, you can safely remove the heatsink. When you go to put it back on, you might want to clean off and reapply the thermal paste though.

Thermal paste? What is it? I don't think I should need to clean it as it is new and I only use it for one hour in my PC and removed it due to the noise and the power supply not powerful enough.

It is between the heatsink and the GPU die, and it helps heat transfer to the heatsink. If you don't have any extra lying around, don't worry about the thermal paste then.

Don't put white adhesive paper between the GPU and heatsink.
It's unlikely insufficient power would actually cause damage, so you could just try.
You should be able to change the fan speed easily, but you'll have to watch your temperatures.

Thanks for the link Technochicken. I don't know if I will get this here but if I dont put it, it is a risk? AS the card is new.

@ Hellokitty: I tried several software to change fan speed but in vain and I saw with some research that we can't reduce speed as it is only two pin fan so work at full speed

You don't mention what brand the card is, but it voids most warranties I think.
It's not dangerous if you do it right. You should make sure to use non-conductive thermal compound.

The card is an Nvidia GT220 DDR3 1GB... it is completely new. But I would like to know if I remove the heatsink and that I do not put the thermal grease it may damage the card or cause any problem because I don't know where to get that thermal grease here.

Hmmm ok then..so I prefer not open the heatsink then.. but the noise it too loud and I don't know what to do.

Return the card for a replacement, the fan could be defective. I'm on my third GT220. The first one didn't work at all and was completely dead. The second one had a very noisy fan. The third one was bought at a different retailer and has worked flawlessly for over a year now.

Ok I thought it was that model that was the problem me.. but for returning that and so on that will take me one month or two to get the other one back..

Do you think if I disconnect the fan and put and external fan on the side of the PC will do the necessary for cooling it?

Do you think if I disconnect the fan and put and external fan on the side of the PC will do the necessary for cooling it?

I wouldn't recommend that course of action, pulling the plug of your GPU's cooling fan is like spelling out death for the processor. If a simple side mounting computer case fan would do the trick, than most video card companies wouldn't waste the bucks on producing cooling solutions for their cards, they would just run with the computer case cooling solution option. That small fan is on top of that GPU for a reason, I wouldn't mess around with it!

I wouldn't recommend that course of action, pulling the plug of your GPU's cooling fan is like spelling out death for the processor. If a simple side mounting computer case fan would do the trick, than most video card companies wouldn't waste the bucks on producing cooling solutions for their cards, they would just run with the computer case cooling solution option. That small fan is on top of that GPU for a reason, I wouldn't mess around with it!

Ok I see now..but what can I do then because the noise is too much annoying like a wahsing machine working or a printer at work. I don't know where to get the thermal grease so I can't open and change the fan.

Back