GTA: San Andreas Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemiCharmed

I just bought GTA San Andreas and was in the middle of installing it when a windows explorer error came up and my computer restarted. Now when I insert the game the menu comes up and obviously PLAY doesn't work because it only got halfway through installation or less, but it also will not let me UNINSTALL the game so I can just start over. When I choose uninstall I get the following error message:
PGUID:E0303B6A-C675-4102-95DA-C013625BFA99
$10.50.0.125
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.6000.16640

Then I press OK and this pops up:

Setup has experienced an error.

Please do the following:
-Close and running programs
-Empty your temporary folder
-Check your internet connection [Internet-based setups]

Then try to run setup again.
Error Code: -5001

So obviously I did all of the things it said to do, yet I still have the same problem. GTA: San Andreas does not show up under add/remove programs in control panel so I cant remove it that way, nor does it show up under (C:) Drive Program Files. The only place it shows up is under the Start menu in Programs and when I try to uninstall through that it does the same thing.

Please help!!!!!!!!! I cant believe it is this difficult to just re-install this stupid game. I would be extremely grateful if anyone knows how to fix this. :confused:

Ok, I know nobody has helped me yet but I was checking other website for help and I found someone with a similar problem, When he tried to install GTA San Andreas he got this message:

An Error (-5003 : 0x5) has occurred while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Rockstar Games.

----------------------------------
Details - Below
----------------------------------

Error Code: -5003 : 0x5
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1971)
PAPP:Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
PVENDOR:Rockstar Games
PGUID: D417C96A-FCC7-4590-A1BB-FAF73F5BC98E
$10.50.0.125
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) BT_OTHER 232.64

Apparently he had tried to download it, that didnt work, so he bought it and was trying to install it. Someone gave him the advice to go into Program Files - Common Files and re-name the Install Shield folder to something else like "installshieldold" and then try installing. And if that doesn't work, he said delete "installshieldold" and restart then try again.

Now obviously my problem isn't installing (yet), it's uninstalling but I tried re-naming the Install Shield folder and when I did, something did actually change. Now when I insert the CD and choose uninstall from the menu the "Demo Shield" icon shows for a second (which didnt happen before) and the first error message I got is gone, now I have the same second error message except now the error code is changed from 5001 to 6003.

InstallShield Wizard

Please do the following:

Error Code: -6003

Now I havent tried deleting the "installshieldold" folder, re-starting, then trying to uninstall again yet becuase I wanted to ask here if it is safe to go ahead and delete the Install Shield folder that I re-named? I mean the guy seems like he knows what he is talking about since the first error message went away, but if I delete the folder.... wont I no longer have Install Shield and don't I need that?

By the way, according to the microsoft website the -6003 error code means:

There is no valid encryption recovery policy configured for this system.

Whatever that means.

I don't know about the Installshield renaming or deleting issue. You could try manually deleting all of the game files and then use a registry cleaner like Ccleaner (freeware) to clean the registry of leftover bits and pieces. Then you could try a clean install again. Of course, I would rename the Installshield folder back to it's original name.

mailpup said:
I don't know about the Installshield renaming or deleting issue. You could try manually deleting all of the game files and then use a registry cleaner like Ccleaner (freeware) to clean the registry of leftover bits and pieces. Then you could try a clean install again. Of course, I would rename the Installshield folder back to it's original name.

Thank you so much for a response, how would I go about deleting all of the game files? GTA: San Andreas doesn't show up under program files, I don't know where to find a place to manually delete the files. The rest of what you said I can do, I just need help finding out how to delete all the game files manually.

Thank you again

Maybe there aren't any. The usual default folder is Program Files unless you specified another folder. It might appear under the publisher's name, like Rockstar. You can go to Start > Search and see if there are any folders or files with the name GTA in them or San Andreas.

It would likely be entries in the registry that would cause installation problems anyway. Try using Ccleaner to clean the registry of any GTA or Rockstar game references. This assumes you don't have any other Rockstar or GTA games installed.

mailpup said:
Maybe there aren't any. The usual default folder is Program Files unless you specified another folder. It might appear under the publisher's name, like Rockstar. You can go to Start > Search and see if there are any folders or files with the name GTA in them or San Andreas.

It would likely be entries in the registry that would cause installation problems anyway. Try using Ccleaner to clean the registry of any GTA or Rockstar game references. This assumes you don't have any other Rockstar or GTA games installed.

I did actually specify the default location, program files. I do have Vice City, and when I go to program files > rockstar > vice city is there (which works perfectly) but there is absolutely nothing related to GTA San Andreas.

The only place San Andreas shows up is under Start > Programs > Rockstar Games > GTA San Andreas > Play > Read Me > Register Online > Rockstar Games > Rockstar North ltd > Uninstall GTA San Andreas.

Should I delete all of that under the Start menu? Would that make any difference?

I would delete from GTA San Andreas on down and leave Rockstar Games and up. It might not make much difference but I would do it anyway.

As I said earlier, cleaning the registry is more important. Ccleaner should identify unconnected GTA game entries in the registry but leave your Vice City registry entries untouched.

Ok well I deleted GTA San Andreas and down from the Start menu, leaving just Vice City. Then I used the Ccleaner and deleted/fixed everything it found. I tried the game again and it still gives me the option to 'Play' even though it isn't really installed and the other option, 'uninstall' still gives me the error message:

Please do the following:

Error Code: -6003

Any other ideas? Any help is appreciated, whether it fixes it or not.

Ccleaner cleans more than one thing. You did select the Registry icon, correct?

Can you try to close the "Play" menu and explore the game CD, find the setup.exe file and double click it to try to install? I don't have this game myself so I'm assuming there is such a file (as many games do have one). So sorry if I my help isn't more on the money.

mailpup said:
Ccleaner cleans more than one thing. You did select the Registry icon, correct?

Can you try to close the "Play" menu and explore the game CD, find the setup.exe file and double click it to try to install? I don't have this game myself so I'm assuming there is such a file (as many games do have one). So sorry if I my help isn't more on the money.

Haha, thanks a ton!!!! I had tried exploring the game CD through My computer but I guess I never thought of double clicking setup,exe it installed the game all over again and now it's running perfectly. You're my hero!!! lol

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to help me out... I really really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back