GTA V's massive map puts previous franchise offerings to shame

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The fifth major installment in the Grand Theft Auto franchise is launching in less than a week and if you need something to hold you over until then, we understand. The game is said to have a map bigger than the previous two GTA titles and Red Dead Redemption combined and now, we have proof of that.

Turns out, someone accidentally sold a copy of the GTA V strategy guide before its release date and given the connected world we live in, it was only a matter of time before images of the upcoming game’s map hit the web.

gta grand theft auto map gta 5 gta v leaked map gta v map

Needless to say, the game’s map is absolutely massive with mountains, deserts, countryside terrain and for the first time, a completely new underwater world to explore. There’s still a downtown city area but the rest of the map dwarfs it in size.

If you were thinking the map might be a hoax, think again. Rockstar’s official Twitter account recently acknowledged the leak and confirmed it is indeed authentic as coming directly from the Brady Games strategy guide. They even complemented the efforts of fans as they tried to recreate the map based on information available thus far.

gta grand theft auto map gta 5 gta v leaked map gta v map

To put the map into perspective, a NeoGaf user superimposed the map from GTA: San Andreas over the one for GTA V. As you can see, well… there’s really no comparison as the new map is at least five times larger than the one from the previous game.

Permalink to story.

Can anyone confirm it is coming to pc?

I heard there has been no official response to a petition started by players. But also that rockstar were hiring for a project that sounded like a pc port.

Shitty port? Really? Consider this, both the PS4 and the XO use x86 processors. Guess what else uses X86?
Before gtaIV was ported from a ppc( or was it cell?) architecture to x86 and that's why it was so god awful. Hopefully with the new consoles being both X86 the PC will have drop in templates just for game assets and ports will take weeks instead of months and will be 10x better than before.
All of this is of course based on the assumption that R* will release a PS4/XO/PC version around the same time. Say Christmas or maybe even Thanksgiving!

The GTA San Andreas map doesnt seem to be put in the same scale as GTA V map, look at the size of blocks
Size of the blocks doesn't determine scale on it's own... you need to know the length of the blocks as well...

The GTA San Andreas map doesnt seem to be put in the same scale as GTA V map, look at the size of blocks
And look at the GTAV airport in the top-left. That would make the runway the same length as the two cities in S.A. I don't think so....

http://oi40.tinypic.com/m9sxfc.jpg

[FONT=Arial]***** please., this map aint big. nice try though[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Oh man, JC2, excellent game. :D That map was huge, but I remember when GTAV was just a speck on the horizon, all the talks of "it'll be bigger than JC2, Red Dead combined" ... [/FONT]

I'll just be glad once this game is released and people can stop talking about it. Don't understand why people get obsessed over this franchise. I've never found a GTA game enjoyable or interesting.

You never know, the PC port may be just as good ad the console games! And it may lag less because the console CPUs aren't even touching 2Ghz :p

GTA is funner then all the games u play. you sir are are not enjoyable or interesting and noone cares what u think or say cause ur just a speck on the wall of people we dnt care to conversate with or care even exist....

Back