GTX 460 bottlenecked by Q8400?

benmenftw

I have a C2Q q8400 that runs at 2.66 but can be overclocked to 3 Ghz, with this in mind do you think it would be good with a gtx 460 or would this be a bottleneck? I think it would be a good fit because when I look at recommended requirements for the latest games it seems that the gtx 460 or a similar gpu and an intel core 2 quad at a similar clockspeed are recommended. I don't know if my logic is flawed in this but wouldn't that mean that the two would run well together and there would be no bottlenecking? If the cpu would bottleneck which gpu would you recommend? Also if you know how big the decrease is in performance for the gtx 460 from pci e 2.0 and 1.0 please share.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

As core 2 quads go the Q8400 is defently on the lower powered side. Yes it can be overclocked but the fact that it only has 4MB L2 cache is what really hurts it compared to other core 2 quads. The Q9x00 series have 6MB and the Q9x50 series have 12MB respectively. That being said the gtx 460 is a mid level card so there should minimal if any bottlenecking from the CPU. Your chipset (motherboard) would play a much larger role than the CPU in any potential bottlnecks.

i dont think that your Gtx 460 is bottlenecked by q8400 because :
* most of the new games ( on DX11) require a powerful graphics card than cpu.
*your cpu is quad core cpu not a dual or single core cpu so it is good right now for gaming .

Back