Hacked Disney+ accounts are being sold on the dark web

onetheycallEric

Staff
Cutting corners: You may not think there's a market for hacked streaming accounts, but the hijacked Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime accounts that regularly show up for sale within hacking communities paint a different picture. With the recent launch of the highly-anticipated Disney+ streaming service, there's now a new commodity: hacked Disney+ accounts.

Disney's long awaited streaming service launched last week to much fanfare, notching an impressive 10 million subscribers on its first day. However, of those 10 million new customers, not everyone was happy; Disney+ launched with a slew of technical difficulties, and even the Disney+ website was knocked offline at one point.

Technical woes tend to be expected when a new service arrives, but what wasn't expected was hundreds (thousands?) of accounts being hijacked and thrust onto the dark web for sale mere hours after the Disney+ launch.

Twitter was bombarded with many tweets similar to the above, and there's more than a few threads about it over at r/DisneyPlus. Users reported that their passwords were changed and they were logged out of all devices. In a report by ZDNet, at least two users confessed to recycling passwords from other accounts. Still, other users online have insisted they used unique passwords for their Disney+ account. So, it isn't presently clear how hackers came into possession of the accounts.

Now, hacking forums on the dark web have been inundated with the hijacked accounts, with prices for the account credentials ranging between $3 and $7, per ZDNet's reporting. In some cases, the hackers were offering access to the accounts for free, as Disney+ currently permits account sharing.

As of writing, Disney hasn't addressed the issue publicly, but the most advisable suggestion is to create unique, strong passwords -- something millions of people apparently still struggle with. Disney would also be wise to implement 2FA, which would fortify accounts against lazy hacking attempts.

Permalink to story.

Man, sounds like Disney cheaped out on their network stuff. There's no way a multi-billion dollar company should have such a bad web-service launch...

Am I the only one not surprised that their Network issues are as bad as the new starwars movies?
Ha! That's a funny way of thinking of it.
But you'd think they'd throw the money at the service to at least get it up to par.

Ha! That's a funny way of thinking of it.
But you'd think they'd throw the money at the service to at least get it up to par.
They threw 2.5 billion at starwars and we see how that turned out. I'd argue that the US government is more responsible with money than Disney.

My gf loves Disney and yes she bought Disney +. I have to say though, the Madalorian is amazing. I'd pay $7 just to watch this series. No probs watching it on my end.

One of the issues with the Disney+ app (on Roku or Fire) is that instead of being able to go to a disneyplus.com/activate site where you can enter a code, it requires you to actually enter your account info and password. So for those of us with 20+ random character passwords - you now have to log in to disney, change your password to 123456 (or something similar), login on the app, and then change it back. (same stupid process for Netflix and Amazon and others, but not Hulu).

At least it doesn't kick you out of the app when you change the password (like the DirectTV app did).

It's no wonder people get their accounts hacked as long as companies make it more frustrating to manage - then the passwords become simple and easily susceptible to being compromised.

Somebody prepaid for 3 years on a brand new service? Oh god, I'm dying laughing here. Disney must have a phenomenal sales team.

I have a dream that one day companies will place as much importance on their customer's security as they do on their company's profits.

Somebody prepaid for 3 years on a brand new service? Oh god, I'm dying laughing here. Disney must have a phenomenal sales team.
Probably a parent. What better way to distract your kid(s) than with Disney (kids) content. I have friends that are only getting it for that reason lol

Back