Hackers use remote device to steal 600 gallons of fuel from gas station

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: With the average price of gas in the US creeping towards $3 per gallon, some are clearly looking for relief at the pumps. How the hackers pulled off the heist, however, is perhaps more intriguing than why they did it.

Detroit police are looking for two people they say allegedly hacked a local gas pump to steal hundreds of gallons of fuel in broad daylight.

The theft took place around 1 p.m. on June 23 at a Marathon service station in Detroit, Michigan. According to a report from Fox 2 Detroit, police said the thieves used a remote device to hack the pump which was also able to stop the pump from being turned off by the clerk inside the store.

Local 4 News said surveillance cameras watching the pumps were broken at the time the theft occurred. Cameras inside the store captured images of two suspects, however.

Over the course of about 90 minutes, police say around 600 gallons of fuel was stolen. It is believed that more than 10 vehicles – but less than 20 – were used to haul off the gas. Police don’t know if the thieves planned the heist with accomplices or simply charged station customers a discounted rate to fill up at the hacked pump.

At roughly $3 per gallon, that works out to around $1,800 in stolen fuel.

The store’s clerk told Fox 2 Detroit that he tried to shut the pump down but it didn’t work. He was only able to turn it off and call police after getting an “emergency kit.”

Permalink to story.

Shouldn't be too hard to track down all that gasoline...

Alright, I realize that might be out of context till the end of the clip. They have barrels of gasoline in the back of the van for anyone who hasnt seen this.

Aww, $3 per gallon. You poor babies. It's over twice that here in Ireland. The US charges 52c tax per gallon which is the lowest rate of tax on gasoline of any nation in the OECD 35 (Ireland is around the middle of the list). So, stealing 600 gallons in the US is pocket change :p

The heist was a nice use of technology though. Yet another example of how all our technology's security is flawed somehow and waiting to be hacked. I'm not sure that a paltry 600 gallons was worth the risk of getting caught. Surely they could have done something much more magnificent! I'm thinking fuel tankers at multiple gas stations across the city and then blowing up a train station to keep the emergency services occupied while they escape into an almost completed tunnel. 10 meaningless points if you know the movie reference.

Aww, $3 per gallon. You poor babies. It's over twice that here in Ireland. The US charges 52c tax per gallon which is the lowest rate of tax on gasoline of any nation in the OECD 35 (Ireland is around the middle of the list). So, stealing 600 gallons in the US is pocket change :p

The heist was a nice use of technology though. Yet another example of how all our technology's security is flawed somehow and waiting to be hacked. I'm not sure that a paltry 600 gallons was worth the risk of getting caught. Surely they could have done something much more magnificent! I'm thinking fuel tankers at multiple gas stations across the city and then blowing up a train station to keep the emergency services occupied while they escape into an almost completed tunnel. 10 meaningless points if you know the movie reference.
Die Hard 3!!! Take the federal reserve!!!

$3 a gallon my heart bleeds...
The equivalent amount of fuel in the UK costs $6.20

Need a litre of petrol.

Well, hey at least you don't live in Norway....

Grass is always greener on the other side.

You don't have to deal with gun violence and Trump!
Well, given that most gun deaths in the US are black gang members blasting each other and suicides, I'm going to guess you dont have to deal with gun violence either.

As for trump, he has given us a stronger economy, wins for free speech, a positive outlook, and as it turns out, he isnt hitler incarnate. I'd gladly deal with him over waves of muslim "immigrants" flooding the country and trying to impose shira law while the government jails people for making jokes.

$3 a gallon my heart bleeds...
The equivalent amount of fuel in the UK costs $6.20

Need a litre of petrol.

Well, hey at least you don't live in Norway....

Grass is always greener on the other side.

You don't have to deal with gun violence and Trump!
Well, given that most gun deaths in the US are black gang members blasting each other and suicides, I'm going to guess you dont have to deal with gun violence either.

As for trump, he has given us a stronger economy, wins for free speech, a positive outlook, and as it turns out, he isnt hitler incarnate. I'd gladly deal with him over waves of muslim "immigrants" flooding the country and trying to impose shira law while the government jails people for making jokes.
You should watch something besides Fox and Friends, and get your facts straight.

You should watch something besides Fox and Friends, and get your facts straight.
What facts have I gotten wrong here? Did you miss the idea floating around france to make a muslim state in france for muslims, because they are not integrating into society? (and that is a quote, not just retoric).

Take a look, and here is the quote in full :"branch that wants to settle their lives on religious values and is fundamentally opposed to the liberal consensus on which our country was founded. We can never convert the 30% of Muslims who demand the introduction of sharia law to the merits of our democracy and secularism."
https://www.westmonster.com/french-academic-create-a-muslim-state-within-france-to-avoid-civil-war/

Is the unemployment rate NOT at its lowest level since 2000, and is the average wage NOT going back up? Did the UK NOT convict dankula for making a nazi joke, and all the coverage on sites like CNN were just fake news?

Perhaps check your own facts before making yourself look like a clinton shill.

What facts have I gotten wrong here? Did you miss the idea floating around france to make a muslim state in france for muslims, because they are not integrating into society? (and that is a quote, not just retoric).

Take a look, and here is the quote in full :"branch that wants to settle their lives on religious values and is fundamentally opposed to the liberal consensus on which our country was founded. We can never convert the 30% of Muslims who demand the introduction of sharia law to the merits of our democracy and secularism."
https://www.westmonster.com/french-academic-create-a-muslim-state-within-france-to-avoid-civil-war/

Is the unemployment rate NOT at its lowest level since 2000, and is the average wage NOT going back up? Did the UK NOT convict dankula for making a nazi joke, and all the coverage on sites like CNN were just fake news?

He's a rookie gamblin' man, can't you see? lol may as well be anonymous trolling you... well, he probably is doing just that.He's probably got an actual account on Techspot, but doesnt want to embarrass himself.

Edit: I mean, look at his post right before that. "These gas stations steal from us and rob us blind... Turn about is fair play!"

Such insightfulness
much brilliant

He's a rookie gamblin' man, can't you see? lol may as well be anonymous trolling you... well, he probably is doing just that.He's probably got an actual account on Techspot, but doesnt want to embarrass himself.

Edit: I mean, look at his post right before that. "These gas stations steal from us and rob us blind... Turn about is fair play!"

Such insightfulness
much brilliant
Fair point.

Ok, so one academic puts out this “solution” - it was simply hypothetical - and you link it to Trump being great for the US?

This isn’t the thread for it, and I question as to why you are even bringing this stuff up...

Ok, so one academic puts out this “solution” - it was simply hypothetical - and you link it to Trump being great for the US?

This isn’t the thread for it, and I question as to why you are even bringing this stuff up...

Everything is connected, it's all a conspiracy!!!

One of the oldest tricks in the book. you steal someone's credit card. you break down the cameras. you send a text out to all your homeys on a cell phone nowadays. tell them to stop by the station, fill up for 10.00. the credit card doesn't register the amount even on that day.ever take notice how your credit card says 1.00 when you use credit and takes a day or two to register to your account. it is even easier if your friend in the store looks the other way as you run the cars through the station. you get 10.00 for doing it. its been done many of times. law enforcement just doesn't like to post these kinds of things online. see how they didn't tell you how they really did it. you collect the money and your friends fill a 50.00 or 100.00 car for 10.00 think someone will snitch

I'd love to pay $3.00 per gallon instead of $2.16 per liter also it was an inside job trying to say he couldn't turn the pump off is pure BS either that or he's just stupid

Back