Had to reinstall windows on my boot camp, and it now won't let me play games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if there's anything else.
My dad took an entire day to get everything set up, and it was working great. Later, after a botched attempt at installing Sims 2, I got a black screen with white text saying that "Windows did not shut down properly" and gave me some options.

I tried safe mode, I tried starting up normally, and none worked. I got black for a bit, a blue screen popped up to quickly for me to read it, and it went back to the black screen with white text. I looked around on the internet, and someone suggested I reinstall Vista. I really should have known it would be too easy.

I tried to start up Oblivion, and I got a message saying "Failed to initialize renderer. NiXAdapterDesc::GetDeviceCaps() failed."

Dungeon Siege 2 gets me "A fatal error has occured and the app must shut down.

Unable to enumerate any DirectDraw devices installed on this system.

[Note: This error can occur if another application has exclusive control of the display. For example, Netmeeting's desktopsharing feature may be enabled or you are trying to run this app thorugh a remote desktop in Windows XP or Terminal Server. It can also occur if your hardware does not support 3D acceleration or if your video driver does not properly support Direct X 8.)"

Age of Mythology started working after I managed to get internet connection, but it plays the pre game videos then I get a black screen with the pointer on it.

These games had NO problem before.

If anyone could tell me what is going on and how I can fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Time to reformat and reinstall - find some Vista install guidelines for your comp or motherboard (Google is a friend) that include motherboard chipset drivers RIGHT AFTER Vista install, etc.

Oblivion would be the first game to try - stable and well made.

If it runs, then add the patch(es).

Edit: btw: I think this area is for Linux ! LOL

So just to re-confirm
It was drivers that needed to be updated on your Motherboard or Video Card? that solved it.

After a fresh install of Windows in bootcamp the first thing you should do is put the Leopard disk in the drive while booted into Windows and install the bootcamp drivers - these contain Apple's Windows drivers for their hardware. I would also suggest that after you've done that you make sure you have bootcamp 2.1 installed - these are updated drivers from Apple, but for certain devices it requires you to have already installed the initial driver set from the Leopard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back