Hal.dll error on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

realbaz

I have a hal.dll error on startup, cannot boot at all without it

iv tried install-repairing
iv used multiple commands in the windows repair tool ( including extracting the hal.dl_ from windows xp pro sp2 disk.
i have copyd a hal.dll from multiple working computers and tried multiple windows setups. all to no aviail.
i have also tried creating a new boot.ini but still the same problem

I would check jumpers/cables but its a eee pc 900, it worked fine, suddenly stopped working so i formatted and it hasnt been able to startup since

Here is a bit of background that may help you pin down the problem.

a Hardware Abstraction Layer error used to be a real killer in Win98, but rarely heard of today, because by-and-large, Windows identifies hardware much better, and can supply working drivers of a sort.

The hal.dll is built when windows first installs, and Windows should supply sufficient generic usability drivers to get your PC started. After that, the proper motherboard chipset drivers and so forth get it from just working to working optimally. The problems occur when...
(a) your hardware will not work with generic drivers (PC too new, hardware faulty, incorrect software connection to the bios)
or
(b) you really need to supply drivers before windows can start to use your hardware properly - spot the F6 at load of setup and supply drivers for Sata, Raid, SCSI etc

In short - are you installing an operating system your motherboard is designed to support? Are you supplying any drivers needed before the install can complete? Is your PC bios correct? Are your devices correctly connected to the motherboard and all working correctly?

Honestly, you really said it yourself "it worked fine, suddenly stopped working so i formatted and it hasnt been able to startup since" Hardware failure then......

How to repair hal.dll

HAL.DLL Missing or corrupt

(If the HAL file is corrupt along with the ntldr and ntdetect then it would show up only after the other 2 are fixed.)

Boot from XP Cd, go to Recovery Console.

Type Expand x:\i386\Hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32 (Where x is the drive letter for the optical drive), and press <Enter>.

Type chkdsk /p and check if customers get message chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume.

Type the ame command again till the time you get the message found one or more errors on the volume--
Then Type fix boot and then and yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back