Halo Infinite Season 2 will allow players to earn store credits through game progression

Jimmy2x

Staff
Something to look forward to: Last week 343 Industries announced incoming changes to cosmetics pricing in the Halo Infinite store. The changes were based on feedback from the game community after continuously criticizing its microtransaction cosmetic upgrades. The developer has now taken its response one step further and announced its intention to make credits earnable via the upcoming Season 2 Battle Pass.

The surprise announcement from Halo community manager John Junyszek was a breath of fresh air for Halo Infinite fans that have found themselves stuck in a never-ending sea of grays and greens. The announcement said the team worked with 343 design lead Jerry Hook to address several community concerns raised since the game's launch late last year. One of these gripes was that much of the free-to-play game's more unique cosmetic skins were trapped behind a paywall.

Junyszek highlighted several topics addressed in the game's near-term updates. In addition to the previously announced price drops, the store will begin offering certain items for individual sale rather than as part of a bundle. Players can buy these cosmetics using Halo's in-game currency, "Credits," which will be available through game progression thanks to the upcoming Season 2 Battle Pass changes.

"Thanks to your continued feedback, we are happy to confirm Credits will be earnable in Season 2’s Battle Pass. That means you will be able to earn Credits as part of your Halo Infinite progression. We’ll have more to share on this as we get closer to Season 2."

Junyszek also touched on the known issues regarding the game's Big Team Battle (BTB) matchmaking system. Earlier this week, 343 released a hotfix hoping to resolve several current BTB matchmaking issues. While the fix did not completely mitigate all of the reported problems, the development team maintains a clear and open dialogue with the game's community to ensure it addresses the issues.

The announcement was great news for Halo players that found the game's initial progression system to be a tedious grind with minimal reward. Additional details regarding the changes and timeline have not yet been released, though previous reports have hinted at Season 2's launch somewhere around May this year.

Permalink to story.

I liked the story in this game between Cortana, Weapon and John.
The story unfolds itself pretty well: first makes you wonder what happen in the past with Cortana domination, and why the galaxy is still ravaged by war, in a landscape both looking alien, war torn and precisely vast in its structure. I wish these studios were spending more time in polishing the game to bring it to full potential

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad 343 seems.to actually be listening to user feedback. But how the game ever released in this state at all proves how incompetent their leadership truly is. These fixes should not be required.
Almost every mistake with infinite was made on both halo 5 and gears 5. Slow progression, aggressive microtransactions, disappointing content, ece.

343 has made it clear from both past games and interviews that they hold their audience with absolute contempt.

Welcome to the future of the gaming industry!
I liked the story in this game between Cortana, Weapon and John.
The story unfolds itself pretty well: first makes you wonder what happen in the past with Cortana domination, and why the galaxy is still ravaged by war, in a landscape both looking alien, war torn and precisely vast in its structure. I wish these studios were spending more time in polishing the game to bring it to full potential
I liked the story when it had a well written ending, with proper closure, from the original developer; the war was over, the humans and elite stood triumphant, the covenant has been defeated and their leaders buried under their own hubris. Most of the heroes were dead, going out in a blaze of glory.

Instead we get the lamest excuses, perpetuated by overdesigned aliens that *SURPRISE* were here the whole time but never showed up and now give us more reason to bring out the Green Man. Everything 343 has made fells like the artificial astroturfing of an old franchise for cynical profit that it actually is.

It surprises me that a lot of people still want to vigorously defend the publisher claims that microtransactions for cosmetic items are ok and specially acceptable and good for free-to-play games. You know any about 7 to 13 year old kids? You might not have kids yourself but you probably at least have a nephew or distant cousin around that age somewhere.

If you talk to them videogames I am 90% sure that if they mention Fortnite, they will mention *some* of the gameplay aspects but the majority of their talk will be about wanting to get more in-game unlocks, buying the season pass and skins. Most of the relentlessness in their untold hours playing the game do not actually come from really enjoying the core game mechanics, but from the steep grind to get all those skins, backpacks & dance moves they're paying for with the game pass and every so often they might want to make a devil's bargain with any adult they know to get enough for a skin Epic intentionally leaves out of the payment you already gave them for the 'season pass' because hey, gotta have latest-marvel/disney-property-in-theaters related skin and you can be certain those won't come after the 100s of hours of grind of the regular "season pass" money they already negotiated with their parents or guardian, those are extra.

So don't ever tell me cosmetic items are harmless, Halo just have the wrong demographic for them being way too old and un-impresionable vs the kind of target games like Fortnite, Roadblocks or Minecraft aim for.

I just got Infinite and completed the SP campaign this weekend. 343 should be busy polishing and optimizing the campaign map instead. Performance on the campaign map is terrible, there are lots of floating tiles and props scattered across the world, I fell through floors and under the map in a few places, and experienced a few CTDs at random moments. Have also experienced enemies and NPCs disappearing or spawning in front of me.

Despite these bugs and glitches the SP experience is still fun, and combat gameplay is probably the best Halo has ever been. The campaign itself, however, was pretty disappointing and the weakest Halo campaign I've played (I haven't played the Halo 5 campaign though). It is way TOO short (definitely the shortest Halo campaign I've played) and the game removes the player from the sandbox open world map way too early. About halfway through the campaign, it becomes a linear railroaded campaign without possibility to return to the open world until after the ending. Additionally, the game gives players no "point of no return"-style warning that this is about to happen (or if it did I haven't noticed it). Disappointing overall.

Too short a post to process accurately

Not him, but lemme help you out. There's no loot boxes. I can tell you're trying to say a season pass is the same, but it's really not. A season pass, while also being a microtransaction, is fundamentally different from a loot box. There's no random reward compared to a loot box. The season pass allows you to see every item available for unlock as you grind. The random rewards with unpublished odds is what makes loot boxes especially predatory.

All that being said, I'd rather neither were in the game lol.

Not him, but lemme help you out. There's no loot boxes. I can tell you're trying to say a season pass is the same, but it's really not. A season pass, while also being a microtransaction, is fundamentally different from a loot box. There's no random reward compared to a loot box. The season pass allows you to see every item available for unlock as you grind. The random rewards with unpublished odds is what makes loot boxes especially predatory.

All that being said, I'd rather neither were in the game lol.
I'm thinking "Season" do ya gotta pay for this season and next season and all the seasons after that? If so LOOTBOX baby

I'm thinking "Season" do ya gotta pay for this season and next season and all the seasons after that? If so LOOTBOX baby
You can optionally purchase the current season pass like most other F2P games. There is no automatic purchase / renewal for the following seasons.

Back