'Halo: Spartan Assault' heading to all Windows 8 devices next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft on Tuesday announced plans to bring the Halo franchise to all Windows 8 devices next month. The new game is called Halo: Spartan Assault and is said to take place between Halo 3 and Halo 4 with top-down style gameplay akin to games like Asteroids.

Spartan Assault is a single-player game that includes 25 all-new missions. Despite the single-player model, gamers are invited to compete against friends using the leader board and participate in weekly challenges. We are told that there are more than 40 in-game achievements to be had and gamers can even earn experience points, emblems and new achievements for Halo 4.

The title will be available for desktop / notebook systems running Windows 8 as well as Windows Phone 8 handsets. Naturally, the game will support touchscreen and keyboard / mouse controls. What’s more, Microsoft said they plan to add support for wired versions of the Xbox 360 controller for PCs and tablets shortly after launch via a software update.

As one might expect from a top-down mobile-supported title, the game looks to have a heavy arcade feel to it. That’s not necessarily a bad thing – just more of an observation really. What remains to be seen, however, is whether or not the game will be solid enough to keep the franchise moving forward or if it’s simply being pushed out to keep the Halo faithful happy until the next major release.

The game will debut in July for an estimated retail price of $6.99, Microsoft said.

Permalink to story.

Halo will be looking at a record breaking 1000-2000 sales due to it being on ONLY windows 8 and phone 8 as a gamer will never go for windows 8 for gaming its well known and logical so good going guys good way to cripple your games reach always thinking about your customers just like microsoft well done well done indeed!

Halo will be looking at a record breaking 1000-2000 sales due to it being on ONLY windows 8 and phone 8 as a gamer will never go for windows 8 for gaming its well known and logical so good going guys good way to cripple your games reach always thinking about your customers just like microsoft well done well done indeed!

This is a laughable comment. Microsoft needs to create exclusive content as ADDED incentive for customers to consider their products.

Glad I got a surface pro, plus remember the windows 8 App Store is on windows desktops, so hopefully it will be there.

This is a laughable comment.
So true, I find the whole concept of Microsoft needing extra incentive laughable. Yeah I know thats not what you meant, what you meant I found laughable.
Microsoft needs to create exclusive content as ADDED incentive for customers to consider their products.
Anything worth having wouldn't need extra incentive to make a sell. I wouldn't have Windows 8, if they offered the entire Steam library as incentive. And from what I can tell, the reasons why I'm reluctant are not changing in 8.1 either

So true, I find the whole concept of Microsoft needing extra incentive laughable. Yeah I know thats not what you meant, what you meant I found laughable.
Anything worth having wouldn't need extra incentive to make a sell. I wouldn't have Windows 8, if they offered the entire Steam library as incentive. And from what I can tell, the reasons why I'm reluctant are not changing in 8.1 either

It's your choice to buy Windows 8 or not, I couldn't care less. But, "Anything worth having wouldn't need extra incentive to make a sell" makes no sense. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 obviously have some worth to many people, and adding exclusive content is an attempt to increase that worth.

Actually, the largest adopters of Windows 8, and any other new Windows OS are the enthusiasts. Some like it, some dont. This is quite an ignorant comment.

It's always funny when (insert current Windows release) haters come out acting as if they speak for all Windows users.

I bought Windows 8 for desktop and am overall satisfied with it and look forward to this game as it may also be a sign that Microsoft could finally start bringing the triple-A Halo releases back to Windows, although that may be a bit optimistic.

Also, companies use exclusive content all the time for incentive to buy something, even in other industries.

Examples: On PC, Valve's games are exclusive to Steam. A lot of EA games are now exclusive to Origin. Halo has become exclusive to Xbox... Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid have been exclusive to Playstation. Up until recently BBM was exclusive to Blackberry phones, etc, etc.

I like windows 8... I bought windows 8 pro and installed it on my desktop and its been fine. A little annoying to learn the new shortcuts and far cry 3 was being stupid on it. It's been fast an efficient as far as I could see. I've spent time messing and playing with it a lot. I personally like it but it does have room for improvement.

And so, the slow and probably painful death of the Halo franchise is apon thee, it was a good run, but now it's time for Microsoft to run it into the ground. I wonder if they'll kill it quicker than Activision is with CoD.

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 obviously have some worth to many people, and adding exclusive content is an attempt to increase that worth.
The idea of an OS itself being worth more, if it comes with a game is absurd. I don't know about you but a game will never sway my desire to purchase an OS or Phone. I really wouldn't understand anyone making the statement "Halo for free! Damn I need a new Phone.".

"What?s more, Microsoft said they plan to add support for wired versions of the Xbox 360 controller for PCs and tablets shortly after launch via a software update."

Using wireless controllers is an option too, with a USB wireless dongle for PC.

I'm beginning to suspect that Microsoft has some kind of physical block from letting them learn from past missteps. Otherwise, they would remember when Vista launched to a lackluster (or downright negative) reception, and they pushed out their "DX10 exclusive" titles under the "Games for Windows" blanket. Then seemed baffled as to why there wasn't a big upswing in Vista sales as gamers ran out to immediately upgrade their OS just to play them, and the sales of those exclusive titles suffered early on. The parallels are a bit uncanny.

One would think that they would at least try and get halo3 and onwards, to work on windows8. Probably not -_-(fail)

One would think that they would at least try and get halo3 and onwards, to work on windows8. Probably not -_-(fail)

The good news is with the Xbox One being x86/x64, when they release the Anniversary, or HD, upgraded versions of Halo 3 on up, so people with Xbox One can actually play them, it would make no sense NOT to bring them to PC.

Its funny most smart phone have more powerful cpus then a xbox 360, def have more ram, idk about video card

For $6.99, Halo fans will jump on it. Non-halo fans will pass. It will provided W8 with exclusivity, no surprise there. So, what is the big fuzz with all the critics? Not a wrong move, just an expected one, IMO.

The idea of an OS itself being worth more, if it comes with a game is absurd. I don't know about you but a game will never sway my desire to purchase an OS or Phone. I really wouldn't understand anyone making the statement "Halo for free! Damn I need a new Phone.".

Every extra feature and every extra app add worth. It's not that someone will choose Windows strictly because of Halo, it's that someone will choose Windows because of Halo + everything else it offers. A LOT of people love the Xbox Live gaming network, and I guarantee that many people are excited about being able to play Xbox Live games on their PCs... but of course MS needs a solid range of games to offer.

Oh, and what's the biggest strength iOS has? Number of apps and availability of apps prior to other OSes.

Amen to that.

Back