Hard drive fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, my mates PC wont boot up once selecting safe mode, or any of the options like boot from last known good configuration and so on.

She wants some of the files on that hard drive, so my question is am i able to grab the hard drive out of her PC, chuck it into my PC at home and try to access the drive through my PC ? and then reformat her drive?

by puttin the hard drive in my PC , with the Xp also installed on the drive

will i get the virus on my PC too ? once i open up say the D: drive with all my friends files on it ?

Hey daniel000

If it is in fact the virus/malware that caused your friend's pc to stop rebooting, then it's likely that the virus has corrupted her operating system, which means that it's probably stored in her Windows folder or within the System Restore folder. Firstly, she can try and repair her Windows by using the option on the Windows Cd by pressing "R" at the prompt screen on loading from the CD itself. Typing "Chkdsk" on the repair screen (looks like DOS mode) might fix the corrupted files on her copy which would then obviously allow her to get her files back herself.

If you do put the hard-drive into your computer, there is always a chance that you could contract the virus as well if you access a file or folder that's infected. Make sure you have an anti-virus (AVG, Avira etc) that's fully updated and that it's running on startup.

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back