Hard drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a problem with my Intel Prescott 2.8 GHz 1 gig of memory I have a segate forty gig HDD as master and Maxtor 200gig as slave both have been working well for six months until this morning.Now windows XP Pro will not recognize the slave drive,the messages I get are (do you want to format drive now/yes-no)when checking properties of drive it states correct size but raw file system.There is over 120 gigs of data that I cant acsess can anyone help

you might want to open up machine and take drive out of the case and try to run outside of same.See if you can get your data, it may be a warping problem from overheating drive.physically touch the one side of it ,do you feel it running
spinning.
if not sometimes a light tap on side may get her going.
some of the newer drives circuit boards use spring type contacts and they can make a bad connection from vibrations.
I have recovered many bad!!! drives this way and they are still working today Maxtors in general are noted for being on the low end of hardware not the lowest ,but close
my 2 two top picks are seagate is no. 1 and western digital no.2

do you know where to find your hardware info
control panel, system ,hardware tab,device manager
see if it shows your drive
if it does look for computer management, storage ,disk management
should show if it is formated and if it is healthy drive
I use a program called file scavenger for NT this was the best at finding all files
even corrupt ones (can't fix the last)
even after formating I can get all most if not all the files back
I have bought many a used HDD from ebay that where reformatted and I have recovered some interesting stuff ( I do a service locally not appropriate discussion here)to recover lost data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back