Hard Drive Problem

2 days ago I was helping my friend build his PC, and so I did. This was my 10th build and I knew what I was doing but, I have never seen this happen before, after powering on the PC I saw smoke coming out the Hard Drive, the PC boots up into BIOS good. It's just the Hard Drive keeps frying, I have used two new Hard drives and they both fried. I honestly do not know what to do. I have tried simple troubleshooting and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would help please!

have tried simple troubleshooting and nothing seems to work.

Sorry for the bad experience, PC's have endless ways to throw a curve, it's not you. I think it's the power supply, but it would need to be tested to prove it. The PCB on hard drives can heat up and throw off smoke - until they're fried...if the power supply is overvolting or sending too much current that could do it.

I would remove the peripherals and try starting it with one stick of RAM and the CPU, add one device at a time if it boots. Add the hard drive early on, that should isolate the problem. If the PSU is new and fails, try to return it and buy a better brand.

Click and read this thread in the forum on the same problem.

Smoke scares the **** out of me. I would suspect wiring fault in the PSU. Since there is deadly level of electricity, do not open PSU. You might be able to check voltages with multimeter, but I would not plug in any more HDDs.

Please provide details for the components if you want more feedback.

I agree with unplug everything except the pc and monitor. Check for smoke. If none, then reconnect each piece to isolate the problem. If it smokes, try taking out the hard drive and turning on the pc. Something in the hard drive circuit is overloading the drive. Could be as simple as a penny fallen in the machine somewhere.

Back