Have to disable display adapter or I get black screen

acefsj

So i have an hp pavilion tx 2500 tablet with a ati hd 3200 graphics card
every time i start the laptop i would get to the desktop and then it would go black.
So i went in in safe mode and worked fine so i knew it had to do with the drivers so i disabled the display adapter in the device manager and restarted and it worked.
When i went to re install the drivers it did the same thing.
I used a latter driver and it worked for 2 days and then black screen when i use an older driver it last a few days when i use the new updated drivers it goes black if i leave it disabled it will run for ever do you think it is my card itself.Which would really suck since i would have to buy anew comp instead of dishing out 400 on a mobo

I think your card is probably OK or you would have a constant black screen. Did you uninstall the card in device manager before you installed a new driver?

Follow this guide to remove any redundant drivers from the system, uninstall the graphics drivers in Device Manager and then install the new driver. Did you get the driver from the manufacturers site? if not then go there for the latest driver.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

Yea i uninstalled it from device manager and got the drivers from the hp web site i also let device manager update it which it did and nothing

Their was no drivers in their other than the one i put in put i uninstalled it as well

So, did you then try to download a new driver from the link I gave and then reinstall it?

If this is not working you could delete the driver again and then reboot to see if Windows detects the hardware and loads its generic driver for the device.

Yea it does detect it but it will work for 2 days and go black again

Edit: I am trying to download it fro amd instead of hp we will see what happens

Edit: I am an ***** i don't know why i never tried ati website in the first place i guess i thought hp would have up to date drivers turns out they don't.
Hp latest driver is 2009 on any of their hardware i just downloaded a 2011 fro amd website so ill post in a couple days and let you know if its still working thanks for the help

Your welcome. It is always better to go straight to the manufacturers site for any hardware drivers as you have just discovered.

Hope the updated driver works.

Yea it didn't work i turned my comp on today to make it to the desktop and then about a min later it shut down im at a loss i have tried allot of different drivers i have a 64 bit windows i have tries 32 bit drivers 64 vista xp and ran in compatibility mode and nothing works if any one can figure this one out that would be awesome

If you have a 64bit version of windows you have to use matching drivers for that version.

One more thing you can try just to be quite certain it is that driver that is causing the crash is to run Driver Verifier. Reinstall the 64bit driver you got from AMD and then follow this guide.

For windows XP - Click on Start and then Run. Type verifier into the box and hit the Enter key.
For Vista and Windows 7 - Click on Start and type verifier into the search box then click on verifier in the list that pops up.

Driver Verifier Manager will open.

Select the first choice "Create Standard Settings" and click on the "Next" button.

Now select "Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer" and click on the "Finish" button.

A box will appear asking you to restart the PC for the changes to take effect. Click on "OK" and reboot the PC.

To stop Auto reboot so you can read the error message do this for Windows XP:
Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Failure, uncheck the "Automatically restart" check box.

And do this in Windows 7 and Vista:
Click Start, select 'Control Panel' select 'System' in the left pane select 'Advanced System Settings' in the box select the 'Advanced' tab then under 'Startup and Recovery' select 'Settings.' In the box under 'System Failure' uncheck 'Automatically Restart'.

If the PC reboots normally then there is no problem with any of the drivers. If you get a blue screen straight away it will name the faulty driver. If you are absolutley certain that the named driver is OK then make a note of it.

You will then have to go back into the Verifier and instead of selecting all drivers select "Select drivers from a list". Click on "Next" and the list of drivers will appear. Select them all apart from the one you know to be OK. Click on "Finish" and reboot.

Once you have identified the faulty driver or confirmed that there are none go back to the first page of the Driver Verifier Manager and select "Delete Existing Settings" and click on "Finish"

OK, now we are at a point where there is still not final answer but the problem is now limited to the graphics card or the screen. We know the screen stays on if you disable the graphics adaptor, this will run the screen at a lower resolution.

Does this PC have a graphics output on it, if so can you get your hands on a standalone monitor to connect it to. Then run it with the adaptor enabled and see if that screen goes black. If it does this will confirm it is your graphics card, if it doesn't that will confirm it is your screen. If the screen is LED it will a small device attached to it internally called a converter, it will most likely be that.

OK, that confirms that the graphics adapter is faulty. As far as I know this will be integrated into your motherboard so you either replace the whole board or run it with the adapter disabled.

Back