Having major issue with computer, please help someone

Hey.. Im really not quite sure if it's overheating, or what is going on.. First, I'll start by info on my computer..

CPU Type: Intel Celeron, 2600mhz (26x100)
Motherboard Name: Dell Dimension 2400
System Memory: 1536MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Brookdale-G i845GEV

Well, also, let me say.. I've had this computer for awhile, but I only play Virtual Pool 3 on Gamespy. Ever since I got it, it's been working fine for me, on and off the internet. Now, for some reason, about a week ago, my computer has been shutting itself down.. All the LED ABCD lights in the back turn solid orange, and so does the button to boot the computer (start), but the light inside the computer stays green... Also, when it shuts down (the fans are still running and everything).. So, I have to shut it down myself and restart it.. It's like it goes into hibernate mode (but its not, because I have all that stuff turned off, since I got it.. But yea, just like that.. Fans still going and etc.. It's been doing this alot since it started.. I tried to shut the computer down, unplug it and hold the button in for 30 seconds.. I tried replacing the power supply.. I even replaced the battery.. But nope, nothing has worked for me yet. Please, if someone can, help me... I have EVEREST Home Edition, and see nothing wrong in there either. I have the side of my computer open, too, with a fan near it, still not changing anything..

You have been really taxing that Dimension 2400, because the power supply and the Celeron cannot really handle Windows 7. It is likely that your power supply is failing, or that the CPU cooling fan is wearing out ... or simply cannot handle the heat.
If you are obligated to keep the 2400, you likely will have to replace the power supply and the CPU fan, but it is old enough (about 6 years) that the hard drive is worn out, as well... Look at the build date on the hard drive label. If it is before Jan 2007, plan on replacing it as well.
If your budget permits, upgrade to a better used computer that has PCI-Express slots, and a 450 watt or higher power supply, with its own video graphics card.

We'll really need to know what causes the shutdowns: ie. if playing Virtual Pool does it, opening up programs, or just leaving it alone for a few minutes will do it (with nothing running).

Also, what do you need to get it running again. You mentioned unplugging and holding the button, but you didn't say if unplugging and replugging and just pressing the button (like you normally do to turn it on) will do.

Also, since you have everest, we might as well just discount the possibility of an overheat. Just read the highest temps you get just before the computer crashes. Or if it goes to 70C or higher.

The Celeron is not a very powerful CPU, but Windows 7 has been shown to work with older computers. The fact that you've had it working with Windows 7 before is testament to that, and shouldn't be a factor as to your need for a new CPU.

Your power supply MAY be failing, but if you tried swapping it out with a newer, more powerful power supply, then it probably isn't the case.

If heat is an issue, try cleaning out all heatsinks in the computer. Do this without taking the heatsinks out, unless you have access to (and know how to use) thermal paste.

HDD failing usually ISN'T gradual. HDD failures are "catastrophic", in the sense that it just dies suddenly (can be in a few hours or days, but not weeks or months). There can be unusual sounds from your HDD, such as clicking or scraping sounds. Missing files and extremely slow load times (10x more than usual. Or more) are usually due to HDD failures. This doesn't seem to be the case here.

However, bear in mind that they do fail suddenly, and the average lifespan of a HDD is about 5 years, although most home users will find that their HDDs last much longer than that (average includes business use, which is much more rigorous). Either way, backup all important data elsewhere.

Unlike other people, I'd rather help you keep your current system (unless you don't want to) instead of urging you to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Back