Having the oddest computer problem ever..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Thought i would try another forum in my attempt to solve my extremely odd problem.

I built a new PC a few weeks back and installed Windows 7 on it. Everything appeared to work fine initially. It wasnt until my computer was turned off overnight that the problem occured.

It seems if i leave my computer off(actually shutting down through windows, not sleep mode) for 5 hours or more it will not boot into windows. It will automatically restart on the first attempt to load and usually on the next start up i will get a blue error screen for a second and continue to reboot itself.

This error does not occur if my computer is off for any period up to 5 hours(roughly). Through troubleshooting i have found out if i just reset the power supply (flip the switch on the back on and off). It will boot into windows fine.

So this lead me to believe that this was a motherboard problem. Since the motherboard does have some minimal power when the system is off, it seemed like killing the power supply completely would de-engergize the board and clear what ever issue there was.

Well, i just received a replacement board after RMAing the old one. The problem still occurs...so i doubt its the motherboard. Here is a list of other things i have tried:

- swapped power supplies
- swapped video cards
- updated the bios
- tested the ram in different slots and run memory check for errors on it.
- reloaded windows 7 a few times (clean format and re-install)

I am really at a loss here. The only thing left is to replace the ram completely or the hard drive. Like i said, i tested the ram and i would rather not buy more ram. i have also tested my system under heavy load to try and fault it, but it runs fine no matter what i do. Just this one odd problem with a 5+ hour shut down.

Maybe some one here can shed some light, since mine has pretty much burnt out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back