Having trouble think I have a boot sector virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering something.
I occasionally get some viruses from downloading and was wondering if it was possible that I had one.
After downloading My computer wanted to restart due to automatic update. So I let it. Apon restarting it came to a screen that said

" Diskette drive 0 seek failure
Press F1 to continue F2 to enter setup"

I have to press F1 to make it go to windows. After I did I went to Computer ( Im using vista) and selected properties. In hardware tab selected Devise Manager. In device manager there is an expanded menue for the floppy drive I click disable and then uninstalled it.

Thinking my issue was resovled I again restarted. Once again it came to the screen I talked about before about F1 ect. I had to press F1 of course and when it went to Windows. Once in Windows it automatically re-installed the floppy. My issue was not fixed at all and didnt have a choice it wouldnt let me cancel the installation.

What do I do Ive tried everything that i can think of and cant seem to figure it out as of yet. I dont want to have to hire a tech as I dont have to money. Can you help me with this possibly.

Thanks,

Alek:dead:

Disable it in BIOS. You can go into BIOS usually by pressing DEL or F2 (Dell and others). It should say what to press when you first start up

?

Are you talking about when it comes to the screen that has the options such as F1 ect. Is that were I hit delete or F2. Oh and it a Dell Inspiron 530 with 300 gig hard drive and 3 gig ram

Duh.. I didnt notice that part of your message. When you see press F1 and F2 to enter setup, press F2 and set the floppy drive to "None"

Ok went to the setup screen using F2 and this is what I seen. I didnt find anything talking about the floppy. Not sure Im looking at the right option:

Pheonix - Award Bios CMOS Setup Utility

> System Info
>Stanard CMOS Feature
>Advanced Bios Features
>Boot Devise Configuration
>Advanced Chipset Features
>Integrated Peripherals

In the Advanced Bios Features it has:

CPU Features [press enter]
Boot up Numlock Status [on]

In Boot Devise Configuration:

Removable Devise Priority [press enter]
Hard disk Boot Priority [press enter]
First Boot Devise [removable]
Second Boot Devise [harddisk]
Third Boot Devise [cdrom]
Boot other Devise [enable]

What does all this mean and am I going to the right place in the setup. I dont have very much experience in this erea of the computer.

It would probably be under Standard or Drive Configuration. What type of PC do you have, maybe somebody can tell you exactly where it is. Just check out all the screens and look for where you tell it what kind of drives you have.

Its a Dell Inspiron 530 Vista Home Basic 300gig hard drive space 2 gig of ram
32 bit Intell(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @ 2.20 GHz 2.19 GHz Service Pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back