HBO content now available on Amazon's Prime Instant Video service

Justin Kahn

hbo amazon prime instant video

As expected, a number of popular HBO shows have made their way on to Amazon Prime Instant Video. The initial offerings are mostly made up of older shows like Deadwood, The Wire, Rome, Six Feet Under, Flight of the Conchords and The Sopranos, but there are also select seasons of current shows like Boardwalk Empire, True Blood and Treme.

Alongside some of HBO's most popular shows, the $99 a year entry fee to Amazon's instant video service now also comes with access to a number of HBO miniseries, documentaries, movies, and comedy specials from Louis CK, Ellen DeGeneres, Lewis Black and others.

While it may be some time before we see newer HBO shows, Amazon has struck an ongoing licensing deal with the company that will see more content added in the coming years. Titles like Girls, Newsroom and Veep are all expected to make their way to Amazon Instant Video sometime throughout the life of the deal, according to Amazon. Initial estimates put newer titles hitting Amazon's service some three years after airing on HBO.

While this is content most people have aleardy seen and/or purchased previously, it can be a nice way for Instant Video subscribers to catch up on older episodes and adds some nice value to Amazon's service after the $20 price hike back in March.

As we previously reported, the partnership will extend to Amazon's Fire TV platform as well, where HBO Go will become available later this year.

Permalink to story.

This just in, Amazon Prime™ is razing their rates to $40.00/m. All current subscribers to Amazon Prime™ will be charged for the previous months they have subscribed to in order to pay for the HBO™ deal. If you cannot afford it at the time of purchase a loan will be taken out in your name. Due to current copyright disagreements only one person may be in the room at the time of watching any HBO™ program on Amazon Prime™. A webcam must be plugged in at any time and connected to Amazon Prime™ for this purpose. Unauthorized viewers in the room will automatically be charged for One(1) year Amazon Prime™ service as well as, but not limited to, a service charged to the member of Amazon Prime™ hosting the viewing. If a Member(s) of the group cannot be identified by Amazon Prime™ you will be charged for One(1) year per person for the Violation of Amazon Prime™ Terms of Service. Under the DCMA you may not record, distribute, talk about or consider talking about HBO™ programing.

And that's what Amazon Prime™ is going to be like now that they have a deal with HBO™. Expect rates to go up and benefits to go down.

EDIT:
You know I went through all the work of making a quality troll post and you guys turn all the TM symbols into question marks....

Last edited:
This just in, Amazon Prime™ is razing their rates to $40.00/m. All current subscribers to Amazon Prime™ will be charged for the previous months they have subscribed to in order to pay for the HBO™ deal. If you cannot afford it at the time of purchase a loan will be taken out in your name. Due to current copyright disagreements only one person may be in the room at the time of watching any HBO™ program on Amazon Prime™. A webcam must be plugged in at any time and connected to Amazon Prime™ for this purpose. Unauthorized viewers in the room will automatically be charged for One(1) year Amazon Prime™ service as well as, but not limited to, a service charged to the member of Amazon Prime™ hosting the viewing. If a Member(s) of the group cannot be identified by Amazon Prime™ you will be charged for One(1) year per person for the Violation of Amazon Prime™ Terms of Service. Under the DCMA you may not record, distribute, talk about or consider talking about HBO™ programing.

And that's what Amazon Prime™ is going to be like now that they have a deal with HBO™. Expect rates to go up and benefits to go down.

EDIT:
You know I went through all the work of making a quality troll post and you guys turn all the TM symbols into question marks....

The only thing I hate about troll posts is my affinity of reading every comment posted so you my good friend have wasted my time with that post.

Good god. Do you whine this much when netflix or hulu adds new content to their subscription services.

The only thing I hate about troll posts is my affinity of reading every comment posted so you my good friend have wasted my time with that post.
Au contrere mon ami, you wasted my time reading a bitter, frivolous post, that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. Unless of course you're trolling as well, then I suppose it's OK.

But then again, I feel obligated to mention the time of mine you've squandered needlessly, responding to you.

And no, I didn't waste my own time voluntarily. I felt it to be my manifest duty to say something.

No Game of Thrones? No bueno!
Avoid spoilers, buy the box sets when they're on sale. Just watch a season behind. It'll still be new to you...;)

Although, depending on your internet bandwidth, there are other solutions.

...[ ]...You know I went through all the work of making a quality troll post and you guys turn all the TM symbols into question marks....
Keep up the good work!(y)

Last edited:
Back