HD 7850 max temp?

childofthetao

Hi, I plan on OCing my Sapphire HD7850, I know to never allow it go above 80 degrees celcius. What I'm wondering is should I allow it to get to 70 degrees or 75?

Will my card last a lot longer if I only let it reach 70 as opposed to 75? I'd like the card to last a couple of years more at least.

Thanks

GPUs are generally quite resilient to high temperatures, 80C won't be a problem. My 7970 in a Crossfire sandwich gets above 90C on a hot day and it's been running merrily for about 18 months.

Voltage is also important and will kill the card if you up it too much.

Like slh said, temps arent that much of a problem when it comes to GPUs. If you really want to lower temps to be safe, you can remove the GPU shroud and reapply thermal paste. That will void the warranty I think though. Dont risk it and dont worry.

What about max voltage? What should be the absolute maximum without causing damage?

I think it is preprogrammed. If this stands true, the limit will be very high since they want to keep some headroom for people who are water cooling and can up the voltage more.

To be honest I wouldn't touch the voltage. Different cards (even ones with the same 7850 name) will come with different stock voltages so it's hard to give an absolute number, but you shouldn't go 0.05V over the stock voltage with air cooling.

Looking in Sapphire Trixx my VDDC is 1138, in GPU-Z it is 0.825. I take it Trixx is correct?

So this is the OC procedure: Very slightly increase core, run benchmark. If all is well very slightly increase memory, run benchmark. If all is well rinse and repeat until I get artifacts/instability. If I decide to increase voltage this is when I do it but very slightly.

Is that right?

0.825V is your idle voltage.

Yes that's the general idea, have a google around to see what other people with the same card are getting for a guideline.

I've overclocked my XFX 7850 to 20% on GPU, MEM, & Power, and the standard auto cooling copes just fine, <65 deg. even when stress testing the card to 100% for 1 hr. You don't need to mess around with the voltage, just use the overclocking utility set at max.:) (y)

Back