HD stall after Windows logo

yannisg

Often when starting win7 (64bit), after the windows logo the HD stops, and I am left with a dark screen.
Sometimes, when I restart, and choose "start windows normally" it starts without a problem. Other times I get the same situation.
If I startup in safe mode the PC starts without a problem. Then after a restart the PC starts normally.
I have searched the event viewer, and the Norton history, but cannot relate this problem to anything.
I thought it might be my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce9600GT), and installed a previous driver (340.52), but the problem reoccurred.
This problem does not happen with every startup, but maybe 50% of the time.

Any recommendation will be appreciated,
Happy New Year
YannisG

This sounds more like a hard drive issue and not a video issue. Test that hard drive by going to Computer and right-click on the C drive. Select Properties, Tools, Check Now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up. Let the test finish and see if the problem is corrected

Thanks for yr response.
I have tried the check disk before, and it came out clean. I could give it another try.
YannisG

If the hard drive is OK try altering the screen resolution because it is booting up alright in Safe Mode. When I decided to link my old desktop to a large LCD TV much the same thing was happening. I found that when it booted into the desktop there was just a black screen. Everything was visible on the screen before that point. Mind you this was happening every time in my situation but apparently not with yours so the graphi8cs card may be on the way out.

After using "driver sweep" and installing older drivers with no success. I switched the out monitor channel on the graphics card, and so far so good. Hope it's no just a fluke.
YannisG

I've had a VGA connector go bad on a graphics card too so I think that you have probably solved this issue.

Back