Spread the love! TechSpot Tech Gift Shortlist 2017

HDMI monitor loses signal if headphones are plugged in

By Lionclaw49 · 5 replies
Oct 17, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Whenever I try to plug my Razer headphones into my PC (which I built, so multiple things are probably wrong.), my monitor decides to lose signal to my computer. My monitor is connected to the graphics card, and the graphics card has no headphone or microphone port to plug into, so I have to plug them into the designated spot on the motherboard. Any help?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 10,845   +897

The connections you describe seem correct to me.

3. jobeard

Hmm; Once HDMI is operational, both video and audio are transferred to the TV (the other end of the cable).
    You should plug you headset into the remote device, the TV

4. Lionclaw49

Lionclaw49 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay. I'll try this. Thanks for the reply

5. Lionclaw49

Lionclaw49 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I plugged my headphones into the monitor and it didn’t work. Also, my monitor has no microphone jack.

6. jobeard

IMO, I think you are stuck. The intent of HDMI is to project a large screen image for "public viewing", like family & friends where all the media types of the program are passed to the TV. Inserting a headset+mic to the PC alters the physical circuitry (there's a switch associated with the headset jack) and I am not surprised that fouls out the HDMI attached device.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017