Hearing Impaired Question

bushwhacker

This goes out to everyone.

Do you ever met or see some hard hearing or deaf people, what do you think about it and how can you react to it?

I'm curious of everyone's opinions.

bushwhacker said:
This goes out to everyone.

Do you ever met or see some hard hearing or deaf people, what do you think about it and how can you react to it?

I'm curious of everyone's opinions.

What do you mean how can you react to it? You shouldn't be too surprised to come across a deaf person. It's not exactly rare unless you're extremely isolated, nor is it shocking to the senses. You shouldn't have to "react" any other way than you'd react to seeing anyone else.

Unless they have a big horn sticking out of their ear.

I don't believe anyone cares anymore
Blind people with canes, and deaf people reading lips, doesn't phase anyone anymore. Actually handicapped people seem to fit into society better than the rest of us.
I want a front row carpark!

Zenosincks said:
What do you mean how can you react to it? You shouldn't be too surprised to come across a deaf person. It's not exactly rare unless you're extremely isolated, nor is it shocking to the senses. You shouldn't have to "react" any other way than you'd react to seeing anyone else.

Actually, you are talking to wrong guy. I do care, and I asked for opinion, not telling people what to do. I didn't say that you can have the rights to say something about it, i just want something off your minds.

And Kimsland, we don't use the word called " Handicapped ".

bushwhacker, you asked for opinions. Don't get upset when you get one.
bushwhacker said:
...and I asked for opinion, not telling people what to do.
Then you shouldn't be telling Kimsland what words to use. ;)

That said, in our organization there are a few hearing impaired employees (we usually use that term instead of deaf but, personally, the word deaf carries no pejorative connotations for me. But then I'm not hearing impaired). There is no need to react to them in any particular way. I converse with them differently but otherwise they are treated the same as anyone else. Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by "react." I hope I'm interpreting it the same as you intended.

I know many deaf people and I use Sign Language to speak to them. If you are shocked to see a deaf person you must live in isolation...

TimeParadoX said:
I know many deaf people and I use Sign Language to speak to them. If you are shocked to see a deaf person you must live in isolation...

Sorry... to disappoint you.. but I'm already deaf. :)

I am partially hearing impaired, I'm half-deaf.
My right ear is only capable of about 10% - 20% of normal hearing capacity.

But because I've been like this since I was a little kid, I grew up with this lower level of hearing. I never experienced any "normal hearing level" before, so I have no standard of which to compare my current hearing to (ignorance is bliss...?).

Those who lose part of their hearing at some point of their life often comment on how hard it is because they have to concentrate and listen much more carefully to hear what they used to be able to hear. I however didn't go through this phase because I was always half-deaf, meaning there wasn't a learning-curve for me to adjust to an "inferior" level of hearing.

Overall it doesn't bother me that much. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in regards to hearing loss.

Back