Help after reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a WD HD, it is 127GB. It is fairly old, a couple years. I had upgraded to Windows Vista a while back, from XP. I DID format the partion when I installed Vista, I had to reformat it because the first time I did not format the partion and it still had XP on it. I didn't really notice till now but I am missing about 30GB. Here is what everything says.

Used Space: 71.8 GB
Free Space: 56.1 GB
Capacity: 127 GB

Now, I go into My Computer and double click the C: drive, here is what is in there.

NVIDIA - size: 80.5 MB
Program Files - size: 8.31 GB
Users - size: 18.6 GB
Windows - size: 11.5 GB

I suck at computer math but I believe that adds up to around 39.2GB.
So 71.8 - 39.2 = 32.6GB unaccounted for. I know that there some hidden files around in windows, but I also know it should not be 30GB worth.

If anyone can assist me with fixing this problem it would be most kind. I'm open to all suggestions, if you can leave them as detailed as possible for I am not a software tech, I'm mostly a hardware guy.

Thanks.

Look at the drive using Disk Management (to see if there's unallocated space)
Rt click My Computer->Manage. Under Storage->Disk Management and see what it says

But also, when "running the numbers" part of it is hidden files but the biggest part of it is overhead required by the file system that disappears when you format it. Under Windows, about 9GB out of my 120GB went to the file system. See this thread

your parition table is probably corrupt. You will need to do a complete low level format. Remove any software you might need. Use the western digital formatting CD to fix. Then once low level formatted, you can high level format it / create as many partitions as you wish.

You might also want to try a tool like partition magic.

Ok

Ok LookinAround. I when into the managment and here is what it says, (I dont know a thing about this stuff so if you could help explain it would be good).

Disk 0
149.05 GB

127.99 GB NTSF
21.06 GB unallocated

And Tedster, Im going to see if there is anything I can do without reformatting at this point, If I have to reformat Ill go with your plan. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back