Help connecting to wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a virus on my laptop and did a clean install of windows xp home edition. Now I can't connect to my wireless router and don't know what to do from here. I can connect with my ethernet cable, but when I try to connect to my wireless router, it just says acquiring network address. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

how you connect to router, mm.. what settings connection in router?
you try set static IP address on notebook wireless card?

try deleting the existing connection (View Network Connections)
and rerun the Wireless Network Wizard to create a new one.

On Vista you may see a prompt for Public vs Private network: choose Private

Hi! I have the exact same problem. Did you find a solution? I decided my built in network card was dead, so ordered a new one to use in the external slot. Guess I ordered the wrong thing, cuz the one that I recieved is to go inside. I don't know how to do that. The one I bought from NewEgg is: WRLSS-G PCI ADPT LINKSYS|WMP54GS-RM. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Can I assume you have connected to this router in the past and left it pretty vanilla (DHCP, no MAC filtering, etc)? If so, verify your security key (WEP, WPA, etc) is correct. I don't mean to be a smart-alec, but it's probably something simple.

Thanks, Art for the reply. I will try to check out Security Key as you mentioned. My grandchildren have been here for the weekend, so I may have to wait til they leave t'mrw. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back