Help me identify clicking hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

siyavi

So I have a little problem here. As someone who is deaf, how can I hear what a failing hard drive sounds like? Well, you say, "you can't", so how do I know when there are clicking? Clicking is the main way to find out. What other method can I use to find out a failing hard drive?

No problems

Also I thought they had worked out how to cure deafness now, using Stem cells
It may only be for people who are "legally" deaf, but not actually deaf (which I have never fully understood)
Anyway, if I had the (horrible) choice, I'd definitely keep eyesight over deafness

As you already know, from being "deaf", you can put your hand on the drive occasionally and feel for the click... if there is one.
As a general rule, a failing hard drive does NOT have a click as it begins to fail... that is usually limited to certain Hitachi, older Maxtor, and Tri-Gem models. The Western Digital, Samsung, Fujitsu, and Seagate hard drives rarely click, if ever.
Also, many clicking drives just click... and keep on ticking... but are fine.
When you have a drive you think is going, run the drive fitness test found on the manufacturers website. If the S.M.A.R.T. test is positive, you have at least an 86 percent chance that the drive is perfect... but probably closer to 97 percent. Every hard drive manufacturer except Tri-Gem and Toshiba have a drive fitness test on their website... and they usually complete their test if less than five minutes.
Good luck to you.

No problems

Also I thought they had worked out how to cure deafness now, using Stem cells
It may only be for people who are "legally" deaf, but not actually deaf (which I have never fully understood)
Anyway, if I had the (horrible) choice, I'd definitely keep eyesight over deafness

No such cure. Maybe 50 years from now. Not sure what you mean "legally" deaf but not actually deaf. Stem cell looks promising but no human trial yet. I wouldn't mind volunteering.

raybay

Thank you, I will keep that in mind with that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back