Help needed trying to upgrade CPU/motherboard

Hey guys so i want to upgrade my computer cause i play mmos and right now im playin the new star wars (swtor) and i lsg sometimes with all settings on low. My current computer is a gateway gm5474 its not stock ive done some uogrades. My current specs are
Motherboard-geforce 6150se
Processor-amd64x2 6800 3ghz (was the 2nd gen of dual cores)
Ram-4gb ddr2 667mhz
Video card- nvidia 450gts 1gb
Hard drive- 500gb sata ll 7200 rp
Power supply-500watt antech

So ive got 2 ideas ive been brainstorming since im not trying to spend a lot of money.
1. Buy a new processor and motherboard that is compatible with all my other hardware and just use my gateway case if possible not sure if i can do any of that. Help would be greatly appreciated.

2.buy new processor, motherboard, ram, and case. Use my old hard drive and power supply. Would that even work? If that works then use a spare hard drive and power supply i have and put in my current system and then sell it to recoop some of the extra money i soent on case, and ram and what not.

So all the help i could get would be greatly appreciated.

Hey i didnt mean to make another post. Could my other one be deleted. Sorry i thiught i was editing my original not making a new one.

You can get an i3-2100 for around $110-120 and a board for around $110-130 and 4 gigs of DDR3 for $25-30 but than your GPU will be holding you back. You can always upgrade later as long as your PSU will allow it. I would at least buy another used 450 and SLI them but even then it's really not worth it.

Hey buckshot thanks for input. Well my video card shouldnt really hold me back sinceall i want to do is play swtor lag free on low or medium settings. But i was looking and newegg has processor/motherboard combos for $150. Would any of those be suffecient. Like i said im not tryin for a monster of a mschine just to play very nicely on swtor. I mean right now i basically play lag free low settings except for when theres lots of ppl and my fps are onlyvlike 20-30 tops.and when i check my task manager my cpu is always maxed at 100% with swtor. So im just tryin to play amd not worry about lag.

I just meant that the i3 will be such an improvement over that old x2 that your 450 will now be the bottleneck. You can get a combo but remember you get what you pay for. If you buy a decent board and cpu now you will have the opportunity to upgrade down the road and only have to upgrade CPU and/or GPU and not the board and RAM and PSU. Just a thought. Don't buy old tech!!

Back