Help needed with BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

stellaj76

Hi,

I am having major problems with the blue screen of death on my Dell running Windows XP. Sometimes I can start in safemode, sometimes I can't even get that far. Messages I have seen on the BSOD include:
volume is dirty
page fault in non paged area
crql not less or equal
pfn list corrupt
an attempt was made to execute non executable memory

Also, at one point, I was given a Windows Shutdown status code 1073741819.

I am sending this post from another computer that actually still works!

I would appreciate any help possible.

Thanks,
Joe

PS- I re-posted this problem in the BSOD forum...can't figure out how to delete my post from here...sorry.

First, give us the model / Service Tag number of the Dell, as well as the age of the hard drive, memory an other configuration details.

Usually this error code is caused by a malware worm... it is hard to fix if you cannot get it running, but have you tried to start up in <SAFE MODE>?
You would do this by repeatedly depressing the <F8> key once per second and let it run until stable... you will get a low resolution and a list of choices... go to the top of the list and start in Safe Mode...
Before you do this, download Avira Antivir virus, malwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Windows Defender.
Then install and run them in SAFE MODE as soon as you get the machine booted and stable.
If they find and remove any evil doers, rerun the scans after the first cycle is complete...
Then download the updates, and run the scans a third time.

configuration

Dell Dimension E310
Service Tag 9N69691
800FSB, 1GB RAM
Purchased in January 2006

I posted my same post in the BSOD forum as well and someone there told me to run memtest to see if my RAM is bad. It appears, from this test, that my RAM has millions of errors.

Is my problem a malware problem, or a RAM problem? Can you tell?

Thanks,
Joe

Is there really anything else to pursue at this time.
Your memory test shows errors? Probably a million is a high estimate.

Replace the memory

Go on with life?

Or are you looking for an answer that you like.?

bad RAM

Just trying to get the right answer...since it seemed like I got 2 different opinions at first. So, it looks like from the memtest that my RAM is bad, so I will replace that and see if it does the trick. Thanks for your help.

Methinks you are on the right track. You should know soon whether it was the memory or not... or some other corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back