Help with built in network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help...
I just moved into a new condo that is prewired.
I do have an ISP through the local cable company. Can I direct connect my comp. into the RJ45 jack or do I need to use a router?

Also, I am not familliar with the vrious types of connections. I have the typical Blue RJ45 jack and the yellow ...does it matter which one I use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tech out..

Yellow is likely patch
Blue could be Patch or Cross-over

Pretty sure you just Patch into the plug on the wall

Thanks

Kimsland: thanks for the info.

As silly as it sounds I am just not familliar with "patches" or " crossovers", but I will give this a try. I was under the assumption that if I direct connected, I would not be able to enter into my ISP's domain.

Have a good day

I would think that a dsl or other internet cabling setup in a condo would be serviced by one ISP and that makes it difficult to get to your own (unless it lucks out as the 'one').

I suspect that CCT is right about having a single ISP for the condo group; however, you should ask your condo association about this as you may have to start paying, etc., for the wall set up to be enabled. You may also have the right to put in your own cabling if you prefer to use a different ISP and you need to know about that, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back