Help with graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tongan

I have been looking at getting a ATi Radeon X1950 PRO 256meg.
I dont know too much about computers, but a friend told me
that an ATI X800GTO would be compatible with my computer.
With that knowledge can anyone tell me if the X1950 would also be compatible?

Sorry I don't have much info on my computer:
Intel Pentium 4
CPU 3.06GHZ
3.07GHZ

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First question is do you have an AGP slot or a PCI Express slot lucky for you the X1950 Pro comes in both formats and is the better choice if you can afford it, however if you do only have an agp it's a day technology with hardly a future, and by the looks of your cpu clocks your running a celeron, not the best of cpu's, so the X800GTO would be more than enough power when matched with your processor. Lastly what are you going to be using your computer for just as some feedback.

i thought he said he had a P4 I have a 3.06Ghz P4 (which btw is a damn good cpu, well was a damn good cpu dcent though)

well unless its very slightly overclocked because P4 go up in 200 Mhz increments IE 2.8, 3.0, 3.2 ect... only the newer core 2's because there FSB is 266, celerons use 133 Mhz fsb, just an observative remark.

Adhmuz.....I just want to use my computer for simple gaming.
I want a card that will run COD4.
I currently have an ATI Radeon 9550 which I think is AGP?

So....would the X1950 PRO be compatible or should I go with the X800GTO?

Thanks for the help....very much appreciated.

Well if you can spend the extra cash go for the X1950 Pro, which is most likely agp, to know for sure just open up the side of your computer and look at the slot PCI-E are alot longer than AGP and you should be able to read somewhere near the slot on the motherboard what is it, everything is labeled. So ya go for the X1950 Pro

Ok Adhmuz...I'll go with the X1950.

One more quick thing for future reference before we close this thread...
When buying a new video card, Does it matter what system your on?
eg. XP or Vista?

sorry im a bit of a noob....
Thanks for the help once again :)

The X1950pro performs alot better, but the AGP version is just so expensive....

Bear in mind that it is probably the last upgrage before you buy a whole new comp, so if you're thinking you might want to buy a new computer a year down the road, you might be better off waiting for that. AGP cards resale value isn't all the high.

In case you're wondering: no, you cannot use an AGP card in a PCIe slot.

ok....does does it matter what kind of memory the card has?
Because the X800 has DDR and the X1950 has GDDR3?
What is the difference? is it important?

It doesn't matter in terms of whether or not it will work.

But it does in terms of speed. The GDDR3 is faster than the GDDR. I'm sure there are more differences, but you can rest assured that newer technology (ie X1950) will perform better than older technology (ie X800GTO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back