Help with resolution for Windows 7 Ultimate

Ladymusicc

Hi guys! Awesome forum. Glad I found it. For the past few days I've been doing non-stop downloading, installing, un-installing, downloading, searching, reading, and I seriously have come to a dead end.

I wanted to install a new nvidia graphic card because mine seems to have stopped working or something? All I know is the images I see aren't as flawless as they once were. Shades that I wouldn't normally see, I do see. Like if you opened a picture in Paint and saved it in GIF. something like that. But that's not really my biggest issue.

My main problem is my screen in Windows XP was 1600x1200. But then I installed windows 7 and now the biggest I can get too is 1400x1250 which is great. But my screen looks squished. Not so much so that I can't do anything with it. But my pictures look strange. I can't stand it. I need a bigger resolution.

The option to go to 1600x1200 is there. But when I click it, my screen goes hay wire and I have to wait for it to revert back to what it was, before I can do anything. So I really need to know what to do.

I have a Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.
I've done a lot of properties clicking and they all the same thing. That nothing needs to be updated. I really just want to fix this resolution. I can get over the low quality colors.
If you guys want to see some screen shots, let me know. Please help me.

I have a Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.
You need to install proper graphics drivers.

Which computer do you have? (If home-built, which motherboard do you have?)
If you have a graphics adapter installed, which card is it?

Answering the questions above will help us better understand which driver you need.

I have a Dell Latitude D820.
As far as the motherboard, I'm not sure. If you could tell me how to pin point it, I can get you the information you need.
The graphics adapter I had (that it's picking up) is a Nvidia GeForce Go 7400. Or at least that's what the web site said I had.
(I allowed the site to scan it. And that's the one they said I had)

Also, before I upgraded, it said I had a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M driver.

My system warned me that there could be a possibility that it would not work with windows 7. It told me to check for updates.

You will need to go here and download graphics drivers for Vista. There are no drivers listed for Windows 7 but Windows Vista drivers will work. Please choose the bit version that matches your OS (64 bit drivers if the OS is 64 bit).

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

Windows update could have optional updates that can update this issue. Optional updates may need to be turned on before anything will show.

So I'm on here with all the things I could download. But which one is for graphics? There's not really a slot that says "Graphic drivers" not even one for drivers.

The list says

Application
Audio
BIOS
Chipset
CMDSK
Communications
Diagnostics
Input
Network
Removable Storage
Security
System Utilities
Systems Management
Video

OHMYGOSH! YES! IT WORKED! PRAISE GOD! AHHHHH. I've seriously been freaking out. But I have to keep it quiet because everyone is asleep.
Dude, I download that one file and it solved ALL my graphic needs. I even have Aero. It's gorgeous. I can see through my task bar. Dude!!!! Any how, thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much!!! I wish I came here sooner. But thank you so much. I just wanted 1600. This thing gave me 1900!!! It's awesome! I love me some room to work in.

Thank you so much. I would hug you until you suffocated. I guess it's a good thing I can't. (lol)
Thank you so much. If I ever need anything, this is the first place I'll come.

I'm happy for you. :) It's always a pleasure knowing you helped someone.
If you ever have any issues, there are many readers here willing to help.

P.S. - I enjoyed the video on your home page. :)

You just put a huge smile on my face thank you. Praying blessings your way for helping me. So grateful for this forum. I DEFINITELY will come back.

I'm just so grateful that God allowed you to be online, to see my post, and to help me. I just got done praying for you (if you're a christian or not) I just prayed blessings over you and your family (assuming you have one) and I'm just so thankful for you. Thank you. And I really appreciated the compliment on my video.

Back