Help with setting up Fans

Ztraider

Hello all,

I need help to set up fans because I'm new with this. My motherboard is Biostar a780l3l and has a SYS_FAN1. Do I put one fan there? Do I need just one fan or more? My case has 3 spots to put fans on, 2 on the side and one from behind.
Or do I put one fan in the motherboard and other 2 in the PSU?
If I only need one fan do I put it in the motherboard or PSU?
I'll upload my dxdiag just in case.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
It does not really matter how or where you hook fans up unless you want to be able to control the speeds via the motherboard or if the fans have built in fan controllers (Like switches on them for high and low).

The only spot you definintly need hooked up (Unless your using a fan controller) is the CPU fan one since im assuming your not using a fan controller. IMO, you should hook up to the motherboard because the system will decide on fan speeds for you.

The direction of airflow is important. Naturally you wouldn't want a push and pull effect in the same location. This would only serve to circulate hot air. The idea is to expunge hot air, not circulate it back into the case.
does the quality of fan REALLY matter or can I use the most cheap ones?
The quality of fan is important, cheaper fans may or may not have a long lifespan.

The direction of airflow is important. Naturally you wouldn't want a push and pull effect in the same location. This would only serve to circulate hot air. The idea is to expunge hot air, not circulate it back into the case.

Sorry, but can you tell me where to put the fan then? I have 3 places on my case, 2 are on the side (first one is in front of CPU, 2nd one is in front of GPU, if you understand what I mean) and the 3rd place is below PSU. I mean how to install that fan... inside or outside of case or something else?

CPU and GPU cooling has a negative effect of circulating hot air inside the case. Case fans are used for venting the air out of the case. Traditional methods have been to pull air from the front, bottom, and sides of the case. And at the same time push air out the top, and back panel.

The difference in whether you push or pull air, is the direction the fan is facing. I don't think it really matters where the fans are mounted, as long as they aid each other by moving air in the desired direction.

Basically what clifford said, if you want direct help, I would suggest taking a picture and posting it or telling us what case you have, that could help us see and decide what might be the best airflow solution for your case.

Here is the picture of it.
I was reading a very good place to put a fan is rear exhaust position. My graphic card has a heat sink (ATI 5450 1GB DDR3) can I mount a fan on the lower side of case with the graphic card too and keep the heat sink on?

Attachments

• Photo-0019.jpg
    Photo-0019.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 7
Heres my personal Opinion on what you should do:

Mount an intake fan at the bottom Mount on the door, have the exhaust be at the back top area, and have the third intake from the other door mount if you can. Thats my 2 cents, I cant see if there are any other spots, so 2 door intakes and a rear exhaust should be fine in my book.

Back