Help with shipping?

Spiders

I am looking to have my computer shipped across the country from Cali to NY but I am having trouble finding a box to ship it with, where do I look to find it? I have seen them on sites like office depot or staples but they only sell in quantity.

This is the case I have, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227 and the dimensions are 19.30" x 7.50" x 16.70".

I am going to use FedEX as they seem the cheapest and somewhat reliable, is this wise?

Also what precautions or other thing should I be thinking of?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
To be honest, I think you should get some bubble wrap, brown paper reinforced, "wet and stick" type shipping tape, and a box cutter. A hot melt glue gun can help tack together a cardboard box in a big hurry also. Glue the box together, then reinforce the corners with tape.

Wrap the computer in enough bubble wrap to protect it, then measure the result..

Look around behind big box stores or behind any store that throws away packing boxes, find a box (or 2) that's oversize, cut it down to size, and tape it together.

If a store is recycling their used boxes, politely ask the store manager for permission to take what you need.

Either FedEx or UPS, are extremely reliable, (IMHO). I've never had a broken or lost package from either company. My favorite is UPS, but that's partly because my house is fairly early on the established route. I usually get my stuff by noon.

UPS probably has the best logistics in the business. But, since everybody's trying to copy them, it probably doesn't make as much difference now, as it did in the past.

Can't play contrarian here... Damn. Maybe I can use a wildcard and write an apologetic for DHL?

In all seriousness, though, I've used both providers extensively and would certainly recommend either one.

If you want to use FedEx, you can go to a FedEx Office Print & Ship Center where they can pack your computer for you. They also can provide the container and packing materials. If you'd rather pack it yourself, you can still buy the packing materials from them. I don't have personal experience with these FedEx centers as I use the UPS Store for similar services.

Back