Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

triztan

Hokay,
I've got a duo core 3ghz pcu, 2 gigs corsair 800mghz ram, 512 video 9800 gtx pniy? I think, 650 watt psu on an asus p5n32-e sli. Worked fine for probably 1.5 years, (built the system myself) recently screen will either flash once and screen will freeze, or screen will bug out and flash a combination of blue and whatever was on the screen when it froze. When it happens is completely random, between first five seceonds of startup, but usually no longer than 10 mins. (lasted for an hour once in the last 15 startups) I figured it was either the psu or the video card, more likely the psu as it was cheap, and the video card is pretty bad ***. Since this problem has begun I have given everything a really thorough cleaning with compressed air. it should also be noted that there are no bios beeps asides from the single startup tone, and that I do not believe it to be related to the hdd or os, as the issue has happened to me while in bios.
Please help as taking in to the shop would spell certain defeat for me.
thanks
TRIZ.

first of my bad, p5n32-e, so I don't think so.
Secondly, bios, last I checked which was about a month, maybe two, was up to date. To my knowledge, my bios would not update on it's own, and because it has been running stable for a year and a half, I don't see why it would be a problem now. Any other suggestions?

lol :D You've changed the computer :rolleyes:

Ok, next dea...

Power cable out
Remove the addon Video Card
Hold the ON button in for 20 secs
Put the power cable back in (addon Video card still out)
Turn on (possibly some beeps or something, not concerned, just turn back off again ;))
  • No its not madness, it may just reset Bios for you
Power cable out
Mount the addon Video card back in (securely)
Hold the ON button in for 20 secs
Put the power cable back in (addon Video now back in)
Turn on

Did it work?

lol, sounds like voodoo, I like it. So I gave it ago, and she's booting up now, from here on in, it's a waiting game. I looked at the p5n-e pic and it took me a solid 7 seconds to figure out why the pic didn't look like mine, I loled a little and my stupidity. I'll get back to you if it crashes again. Thanks for your help.
TRIZ.

negative, still freezing up. I just find it weird how random the freeze time is, like I said between 5 seconds and 10 minutes, and it doesn't seem to correlate with any sort of over heating, processor's running at a balmy 38 celcius. If the power supply was begining to fail, could a drop, or surge from the supply cause an effect like this?

yeah, mine is the top one, not the plus, the weird thing about the board is it's marked as a striker extreme physically on the board. bought it off of e-bay, I guess the guy though he was scamming me but long story short I got the better deal.

Run this Memtest scan: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post653029-21.html
The good thing about this loooong scan, is that it happens outside Windows
If you have a, say Power Supply fault, it will fault during this scan, plus you get to check your Ram at the same time ;)
Most Users just leave it scanning all night long (Monitor can be left off)

I'm sorry, I don't understand how it will help me, as indoubidably it will freeze up within the first ten minutes of the test. Will it give me more info about the freeze up and how it's occuring?

I was thinking that maybe it happened in Windows only, but you also stated that it happens after first 5 secs of startup too

So. It must be hardware

You need to start disconnecting parts like your DVD Drive and any other addon not critical device
It may even be your Hard Drive

The sequence as I see it (what I'd swap first to last, not suggesting you buy all this though)
Data Cables (HDD and DVD Drive)
Ram
Power Supply
Detach Hard Drive and test in Bios if it locks up after an hour)
Video Card
CPU reseat and re-thermal paste
Motherboard (meaning Benchtest out of the case)

Its a process of elimination :(

that's kind of what I was thinking. It might actually be best for me to take it in, because they have all the parts hanging around to swap out. I really have a hunch that it's the psu, I kind of cheaped out when I build the system on the psu and bought a crappy brand 650 watt off ebay for like 40 bucks. It sucks that I just moved to a new town as I'm not too sure who's going to try to take advantage of me... I really need to get a tech job.

I've got a couple, kicking around the house, but none have sata, and they definately don't support the 9800 gtx.

Well the little power converter cable plugs you can buy for about $3 ;)
Did you want a pic, or do you know what I mean? They sometimes get thrown in with a new box

nah, I get what you're saying, I'm more worried about the two six prong power cables I need for the vid card, plus the 4 prong for the mobo, plus the main mobo cable, but I'm sure they probably offer extentions for those. Hmmm, bad time of year to be spending money though.

Oh those plugs (for the motherboard as well) oh yeah I forgot about that :D
Hey, and out of all the OEM computers, you'd have to say Dell is good, you just want to build your own ;)
Now that's opening a can of worms I'm sure :rolleyes: I'm not going to reply to any bad language you say about Dell :D :p

lols, dell is pretty much compaq's predecessor when it comes to suck. psu's have special dimenions to match chasis. mobo's offer no driver support through manufacture website because they're a contracted board. and dell offers very ignorant tech support on their products, so god help you if you ever lose that istall key and or mobo drivers, and or on board sound card drivers. I'd say hp is almost better, but only because of normal psu's. All that said, if a person were to need a computer that would access internet and e-mail, a dell would probably last them till 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back