Here's a first look at the upcoming Super Mario Bros. movie

Julio Franco

Staff member

Nintendo has been working on a Super Mario Bros. film project since at least 2017, and today it debuted the movie's first trailer at New York Comic-Con.

Currently in post-production and set for an April 7, 2023 release, the upcoming animated film is being co-financed by Universal Pictures and Nintendo and worked alongside Illumination, best known for Despicable Me, Sing, and The Secret Life of Pets franchises.

The plot is a given: a plumber named Mario travels through an underground labyrinth with his brother, Luigi, trying to save a captured princess. Fun fact - the original Super Mario Bros. was the first movie to be based on a video game franchise. It received a poor reception from critics and has a score of just 28 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Unlike the original Super Mario Bros. movie from 1993, the new one is going to be animated.

The animation has quite a cast, including Chris Pratt as Mario. Princess Peach will be voiced by Anya Taylor-Joy, best known for The Queen's Gambit. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Charlie Day takes on the role of Luigi, Jack Black will be Bowser, and Keegan-Michael Key will voice Toad.

Expect to hear Donkey Kong emit Seth Rogan's stoner-like laugh, Fred Armisen will be Cranky Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson (the new Dr. Hibbert from The Simpsons) will be Kamek, and Spike is to be voiced by Sebastian Maniscalco. Additionally, Charles Martinet, who has voiced Mario, Luigi, and Waluigi, will appear in "surprise cameos" in the movie.

The trailer looks plenty of fun and after a series of successful animated movies (including adaptations like Sonic), this already looks like it's going to be a guaranteed blockbuster.

Permalink to story.

Looks promising enough.

Sounds like Pratt is doing his own voice with a bit of an accent lol

Looks promising enough.

Sounds like Pratt is doing his own voice with a bit of an accent lol
Yeah. I heard a lot of Mario fans didn't like it or him as the voice. I did see some commenters who did like it or at least didn't think it was bad. Sonic got a make over n it worked. Does Mario need a new voice or do over? In the end, we will see. Got awhile to go till April.

The character designs and animation look very good. It's nice seeing these characters with more detail than Nintendo's usual renders for once.

They definitely nailed the character models here. This movie must have been a blast to make for Illumination. Though, I'm fairly sure Miyamoto is a hard guy to please. As far as Chris Pratt's voice, I'm neutral on it. I think they could have done better, but it could have been a lot worse too. I don't think it will have a negative impact on the experience, but some people are not going to be willing to let it go.

Looking forward to watching it with my grandkids! Hopefully it's not full of brainwashing wokism.
I think it is very unlikely that Nintendo is going to "go woke go broke", lol.. we're talking about Nintendo here, the company that wants to charge you $30 extra per year to play 20 year-old-games. They're not going to delve into America's social war and risk $$$. And that's a good choice! I'm looking forward to a breath of fresh air with no social agendas, just Mario trying to stop Bowser. Anything else would be a travesty considering that would be rewriting 30+ years of videogame history.

Last edited:
Back