Here's the DX12 'Mech Ti' demo that Nvidia showed off behind closed doors at Computex

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As is typically the case at huge trade shows, major companies don’t always show everything they have on the show floor. Such was the case with Nvidia during Computex last week where select guests were invited to check out a demo behind closed doors showcasing some advanced DirectX 12 features.

Japanese gaming site 4Gamer was able to grab this nearly six-minute long clip of the demo in action which was running on a single GeForce GTX 980 Ti. As you’ll see, the demo features ray traced shadows, multiple types of volumetric smoke / lighting (the interactive smoke looks especially cool), different reflection methods and more.

As WCCFtech points out, ray tracing is probably the most exciting tech on display due to its versatility and the fact that it potentially has a very low performance cost. Squeezing better visuals out of hardware without having to make it work harder is a win-win for everyone involved.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

World leaders in screen tearing demonstrations! Seriously with today's available tech wtf is this...

World leaders in screen tearing demonstrations! Seriously with today's available tech wtf is this...
that looks like someone taped that with a video recorder or something, and that would explain why it's tearing and the general poor, unimpressive quality of the video

What I want to see is fewer pixels much faster/smoother. One of the best video card upgrades I did (some years ago) was to GDDR5 128 bit - using only 65-70 watts. Quiet, pretty fast, cool.

I'm looking forward to 128 bit 3Ghz GDDR9 with a 50 watt power budget. No need to push a gazillion pixels.

I can only assume they were using G-Sync at the show meaning it didn't tear while on show, as the video is easily a great example of what tearing is!

I can only assume they were using G-Sync at the show meaning it didn't tear while on show, as the video is easily a great example of what tearing is!
Makes sense.

I'm linking this video to all my friends who claim they can't see screen tearing and have no clue what I'm talking about. If this video can't convey the concept of screen tearing to them, nothing ever will.

The video showed some pretty cool features, but that smoke just seems all kinds of fake. :p

The video showed some pretty cool features, but that smoke just seems all kinds of fake. :p
I agree... the smoke itself seemed to be too dense and the way it phases out didn't seem quite right. Plus well, there was a LOT of smoke. I understand a burning fire, but exhaust from munitions, that's a pretty heavy reaction.

This is just horrid, and I'm not talking about just the YouTube compression.

- Smoke looks fake.
- Animation is horrid. I think the original mechwarriors had better.
- The slight Chromatic Aberration effect coming from the light is annoying. We don't need to treat the camera like a lens, this is not Hollywood.

You'd think they'd include some form of advanced lighting like diffusion SSAO. I've seen it used in ENB for skyrim and it's pretty good, much better then what they are using here.

All of Nvidias titles using physx based smoke looks horrible Turing it off gives a huge performance boost and makes it look realistic rather then completely ****.

Examples:
Assassins creed games
Batman games (Including new arkham knight)

Even if it made me lose 30fps I would still turn it off, it's just that bad.

The chromatic aberration in the lightning makes the whole thing look ... off. Contact hardening shadows are a 2009 thing (Stalker Call of Prypiat says hi) and Screen Space Reflections are a 2011 thing (sup Crysis 2). Shadowed particles were also introduced in Crysis 2 DX11 and Battlefield 3 DX10.

Physx smoke fluids has been a thing since Batman Arkham Asylum. And it has improved only a little. In number of particles and in the more precise nature of physics interaction. Off all things, I see that they introduced lightning interaction to the Physx fluids, in this case smoke.

Those everything presented in this demo is not worth of a 980 Ti, lol. This can be done (and should be done) on a 470.

The chromatic aberration in the lightning makes the whole thing look ... off. Contact hardening shadows are a 2009 thing (Stalker Call of Prypiat says hi) and Screen Space Reflections are a 2011 thing (sup Crysis 2). Shadowed particles were also introduced in Crysis 2 DX11 and Battlefield 3 DX10.

Physx smoke fluids has been a thing since Batman Arkham Asylum. And it has improved only a little. In number of particles and in the more precise nature of physics interaction. Off all things, I see that they introduced lightning interaction to the Physx fluids, in this case smoke.

Those everything presented in this demo is not worth of a 980 Ti, lol. This can be done (and should be done) on a 470.
Na I assume they were showing them off because they were running under DX12 which is (supposedly) a Lower Level API so these effects can be run at a much greater scale and without such a hit to the frame rate.

I guess it's to make these features more of a standard affair than the exception of the odd game that supports it.

Also, rocket launchers do not kick back! :) What's all that springing down and back on each rocket launch? :)

FAIL!

Na I assume they were showing them off because they were running under DX12 which is (supposedly) a Lower Level API so these effects can be run at a much greater scale and without such a hit to the frame rate.

I guess it's to make these features more of a standard affair than the exception of the odd game that supports it.

If true, then all the more reason this should fly on a 470. Dunno what DX12 could do to Physx effects though.

If true, then all the more reason this should fly on a 470. Dunno what DX12 could do to Physx effects though.
Well no, that's an old, By today's standards, Rubbish card, GPU Architecture has changed to make these kind of effects possible without destroying the frame rate and is enabled via DX12. DX12 wasn't even being discussed when the 470 came out.

The only thing improved with newer generation are performance/watt and tessellation speed. Neither which are important this particular demo.

And the 400 series will get DX12, Nvidia sad so. So why not ? :D

The only thing improved with newer generation are performance/watt and tessellation speed. Neither which are important this particular demo.

And the 400 series will get DX12, Nvidia sad so. So why not ? :D
400 Series won't get 12.1 which is what this demo was showing off, 12.1 is a Maxwell architecture only feature at the moment.

Well yes that is what's improved and would be required for this demo, lets say they did run this on a 470, somehow got DX12.1 running on such a card.It would be like a slide show, not even worth supporting let alone building a game under.

what
Also, rocket launchers do not kick back! :) What's all that springing down and back on each rocket launch? :)

FAIL!

What? An AT4 or RPG has no recoil.or movement.?try again.
replying to a 2 year old thread.just sad.gotta check the dates on stuff I read here.who is doing the Bumping?get a job or find something new to post.

Last edited:
Back