Here's the total value of all Xbox/PC Game Pass titles added this year

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass—and newly named PC Game Pass—has seen its popularity rise this year, thanks partly to the number of games hitting the service on launch day. If you’ve ever wondered how much all the titles Microsoft added in 2021 would total if bought individually, we now know the answer: over $6,300.

The last 12 months have arguably been the most enticing for anyone considering signing up to Xbox/PC Game Pass. Both Psychonauts 2 and Forza Horizon 5, two of our favorite games, received day one releases. There was also The Medium, The Ascent, and Back 4 Blood, but the headliner of 2021 was December’s Halo Infinite Campaign.

Additionally, this last week has seen Firewatch, Mortal Kombat 11, The Gunk, and Broken Age all added.

Those are just the biggest names added to the service. The Loadout has done some calculations and found that if every title added to Xbox/PC Game pass this year were bought from the Microsoft Store, the total amount would be $6,317.35.

The publication found that users got the most for their subscription fee in March when almost two dozen Bethesda titles worth $964.67 hit the service. There’s a good reason why: it was the same month that Microsoft’s $7.5 billion acquisition of ZeniMax was approved, bringing all of Bethesda’s games under the Redmond firm’s roof.

A total of 30 Bethesda titles were added to Xbox/PC Game Pass in 2021, with a total value of $604.71—just under 10% of the value of the entire year’s additions. April offered the least value, with all the new games totaling $330. That’s still good compared to the $9.99 monthly fee ($14.99 for Game Pass Ultimate).

Xbox Game Pass has over 100 titles available and boasted more than 18 million subscribers as of January 2021; a figure that is likely a lot higher now. It does have several competitors, including Uplay Plus and PlayStation now, but Microsoft’s combination of price and extensive library marks it out as the top game subscription service.

Permalink to story.

Inb4 random commenters show up to say "but you don't own the games!"

Yeah, duh. But I also don't care to play single player games more than once and they rarely take a month to beat. I'll gladly pay $10 a month (or as low as $4 if you happen to grab the BF sales cards or do the VPN Gold to GP conversion trick) to play whatever game. If it's a AAA game, like the halo campaign, cool I saved $50. If it's a random indie game, I probably broke even.

Yeah, duh. But I also don't care to play single player games more than once and they rarely take a month to beat. I'll gladly pay $10 a month (or as low as $4 if you happen to grab the BF sales cards or do the VPN Gold to GP conversion trick) to play whatever game. If it's a AAA game, like the halo campaign, cool I saved $50. If it's a random indie game, I probably broke even.

I'm of the same opinion. Got it for Halo, but I'm not seeing any reason to kill the subscription after I'm done with the campaign, the selection of games is pretty decent.

I'm playing the hell out of Age of Empires 4 campaigns. I have also been playing AOE 1-3 Definitive Editions, Crusader Kings 3, Stellaris, Doom Eternal, MS Flight Sim, Wasteland 3, and was able to try Halo Infinite for a few hours to see if I like it. Totally worth the monthly sub prices and once Starfield and Avowed comes out it'd play for itself for the year.

Nice value, but not going to subscribe to another service to play what someone decided for me. There are very little games I'd be interested with, and I don't mind paying for games I actually like. GaaS is just another step to reduce our options, after Steam killed physical distribution.

All of our steam libraries, GOG libraries, epic games libraries etc will be unusable and as good as dead in 10-20 years max anyway. We can’t sell our digitally owned games and most of us will play them once ever. Subscription services are absolutely the way forward and they cost less than two full price games a year. I’m all down for it.

All of our steam libraries, GOG libraries, epic games libraries etc will be unusable and as good as dead in 10-20 years max anyway. We can’t sell our digitally owned games and most of us will play them once ever. Subscription services are absolutely the way forward and they cost less than two full price games a year. I’m all down for it.

Well with GOG you can download offline installer files and there is no DRM so you might still have those.

If you don't care enough to own a single-player game and only want to superficially engage with it maybe once, why are you bothering renting it from Microsoft? Twitch exists. Watch someone else play it, or keep being Microsoft's paypig I guess.

Last edited:
If you don't care enough to own a single-player game and only want to superficially engage with it maybe once, why are you bothering renting it from Microsoft? Twitch exists. Watch someone else play it, or keep being Microsoft's paypig I guess.

Damn bro are you really that mad that someone else plays games differently than you? As if playing a single player campaign once is "only engaging with games superficially" and somehow the same as watching it on twitch lol. I guess I'm also a Microsoft paypig ***** too. Like a true rube, I used game pass to play the Medium and Raji without replaying the campaign multiple times or signing up for each game's discord so I could more deeply engage with fans and the content.

Seriously this is the same nonsense as everyone thinking they're better than others for buying DVDs vs streaming them when Netflix was first growing or buying CDs when Spotify started getting popular.

Damn bro are you really that mad that someone else plays games differently than you? As if playing a single player campaign once is "only engaging with games superficially" and somehow the same as watching it on twitch lol. I guess I'm also a Microsoft paypig ***** too. Like a true rube, I used game pass to play the Medium and Raji without replaying the campaign multiple times or signing up for each game's discord so I could more deeply engage with fans and the content.

Seriously this is the same nonsense as everyone thinking they're better than others for buying DVDs vs streaming them when Netflix was first growing or buying CDs when Spotify started getting popular.
Well if you want to own nothing and be happy like a good prole, good on you. Call it old-fashioned all you like, anyone with a modicum of self-respect wants to own things instead of rent.

Well if you want to own nothing and be happy like a good prole, good on you. Call it old-fashioned all you like, anyone with a modicum of self-respect wants to own things instead of rent.
The less assets you own, the more likely you are to succeed. This is the most profound fact in the personal and business world.For example Uber is the biggest transportation company with no transportation, AirBnB is the biggest real estate provider with no real estate, YouTube is the biggest entertainment hub with zero franchises and last but not least, Smart Game Pass subscribers play the most, the latest and the greatest games for a measly monthly fee 🤣

Well if you want to own nothing and be happy like a good prole, good on you.
Do you only buy disk versions? Because sites like Steam make it perfectly clear we don't own a damn thing. We just hold the license.

In fact, Epic and GOG are the only sites I have heard that states we actually own the game.

The less assets you own, the more likely you are to succeed. This is the most profound fact in the personal and business world.For example Uber is the biggest transportation company with no transportation, AirBnB is the biggest real estate provider with no real estate, YouTube is the biggest entertainment hub with zero franchises and last but not least, Smart Game Pass subscribers play the most, the latest and the greatest games for a measly monthly fee 🤣
It's cute that you've become so spiritually marinated in Big Tech propaganda to the point that not only do you probably think corporations are people, but people are corporations, and adopting the values they want you to is wisdom. 20th century media empires only wished they had this kind of control over worldviews.

Do you only buy disk versions? Because sites like Steam make it perfectly clear we don't own a damn thing. We just hold the license.

In fact, Epic and GOG are the only sites I have heard that states we actually own the game.
I buy games on GoG when they are available... and worth buying. Something that hasn't been true for contemporary gaming for years now. Largely thanks to the kind of atavistic consumers that think Game Pass is a great deal.

All of our steam libraries, GOG libraries, [..] will be unusable and as good as dead in 10-20 years max anyway.
GOG games will be good all the time. You can download all installers and keep them wherever you'd like, nearly same as physical copies so yeah, that works for me.
Subscription services have to pay the developers according to some rules. If the rule is time a person played the game, then developers will have no intention to create short and fun games, they will do all they can to glue a user to screen for as much as possible. Resulting in poor experience, or binge trash gaming.
Or, the base game will be stripped to the core, and all other options will be available as paid expansions.

Now, there is one thing. No corporation in the world will do something which will result in people pay them LESS money instead of MORE. So if you believe that subscription is made so you can save money and play more games, jokes on you. Wait for the moment where subscription model will kill other options and suuuure the prices and availability will stay the same /s...

This is hilarious, there are genuinely people who thing Game pass is a bad thing? For a tenner a month I get to play games I might have missed out on or probably wouldn't have given a chance, I would have been paying 6.99 a month for XBL Gold anyway and I earn 5-10 quid a month on the Xbox rewards program. I'm barely paying anything out of pocket, it's amazing.

This is hilarious, there are genuinely people who thing Game pass is a bad thing? For a tenner a month I get to play games I might have missed out on or probably wouldn't have given a chance, I would have been paying 6.99 a month for XBL Gold anyway and I earn 5-10 quid a month on the Xbox rewards program. I'm barely paying anything out of pocket, it's amazing.
are you sure this is sustainable?:) first dose of crack is often free as well.
do you think that without MS going red GP would have money to pay developers?

That's the whole point. Game pass is a great deal. Your pre disposition to not liking it does not stop others from enjoying the service.
Does GP generates profit?
Would GP be competitive if was meant to be profitable rn?
Would developers artificialy increase gameplay in order to get more involvment resulting in better earnings for them?
When MS will increase subscription prices so they won't pour moneys into this service?

Sure, GP is _right now_ great deal for end consumers, but it is not sustainable if subscribers actively using it, and have potential to change developer focus on time involvement to increase their own gains. In long run, MS wants to earn more than just with a releasing games, means this approach will make people in general paying more.

GOG games will be good all the time. You can download all installers and keep them wherever you'd like, nearly same as physical copies so yeah, that works for me.
Subscription services have to pay the developers according to some rules. If the rule is time a person played the game, then developers will have no intention to create short and fun games, they will do all they can to glue a user to screen for as much as possible. Resulting in poor experience, or binge trash gaming.
Or, the base game will be stripped to the core, and all other options will be available as paid expansions.

Now, there is one thing. No corporation in the world will do something which will result in people pay them LESS money instead of MORE. So if you believe that subscription is made so you can save money and play more games, jokes on you. Wait for the moment where subscription model will kill other options and suuuure the prices and availability will stay the same /s...
You sound exactly Like the people who all said people would never pay for a subscription service like Netflix. Now nobody has a DVD player. Games streaming will take over gaming just like Netflix took over movies and just like Spotify took over CD collections. Its inevitable. It will take a bit longer as its a lot more complicated. With the price of hardware, if you can pay $15 a month to stream games you can save a tremendous amount of money on hardware.

Also, the joke is not on me. Individually corporations make less money with a sub than a sale. However more people will subscribe to the service if its cheaper. This is basic economics, joke is on you if you fail to grasp it.

And sure, GOG and probably Steam and Epic will be around for decades. The question is will you still have hardware to play most of your library? Windows and Mac OS are going RISC, Mac already has and Windows is developing its own silicon. Now you Might be able to emulate your X86 library but the fact is it will be a lot less convenient than whatever you can stream to your home TV or whatever. Im sure many will cling onto the box under their desk but once most of us are streaming or just using phones etc that will go. In my case I only use X86 in my windows gaming PC, all my other compute solutions are RISC (ipad, iPhone).

Does GP generates profit?
It generates massive profits. Of course MS says it's not what some may think, but analytics point to very large profits.
When MS will increase subscription prices so they won't pour moneys into this service?
There is literally not one online sub. service that the exact same thing can't be said. Microsoft could go 10 years before a price hike and people will still point their finger and say"SEE!"
In long run, MS wants to earn more than just with a releasing games, means this approach will make people in general paying more.
Subscribers are key, as anywhere else. Rumors now predict near 30 million subs by the end of January.

Back