Here's what Alan Wake Remastered looks like in 4K on the PlayStation 5

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Remedy Entertainment earlier this week announced it would be releasing a remastered version of Alan Wake later this fall. Now, we’ve got our first look at what the enhanced game looks like on the PlayStation 5.

Sam Lake, creative director at Remedy Entertainment, shared additional details on the upcoming game in a recent post on the official PlayStation blog.

On the PlayStation 5, Alan Wake Remastered runs at 4K at 60fps. For those playing on a PS4 Pro, you’ll have to choose between performance mode (60fps) or quality mode (4K at 30fps). The standard PS4 will be limited to just 30fps, we’re told.

Lake further revealed that the remaster will include the two DLCs previously released for the game, The Signal and The Writer, alongside the 4K visuals, updated environments and cutscenes. Remedy is also including a new making-of commentary where Lake will take players on a trip down memory lane.

The new 4K trailer for PS5 looks great, especially if you’re like me and haven’t yet played the game. I’ve heard a ton of great things about it (much like The Last of Us, which I still haven’t gotten around to playing), so it’s nice to know that when I eventually do play it, it’ll still look modern.

Alan Wake Remastered launches on October 5 on the PC, Xbox Series, the Xbox One family and PlayStation 4/5. No word yet on pricing, or if there will be a discount / free upgrade in store for existing Alan Wake owners.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

"I’ve heard a ton of great things about it (much like The Last of Us, which I still haven’t gotten around to playing), so it’s nice to know that when I eventually do play it, it’ll still look modern."
First of all, TLOU it`s a class better than this, you can`t really compare them unless you want to embarrass yourself, but I`ll let this go because you haven`t played any. Second, the game looks exactly the same to me and I should know because I finished it twice. If you want to feel modern just because you will play it on 4k great, but the original game looked amazing on Xbox and if you were to play it in 1080p you wouldn`t know the difference, at least from this trailer. As I said in another post, this is only great for people that haven`t played it, never heard of it.

Alan Wake was always a bit overrated in my view, simply because it was an Xbox Exclusive. It's a good game, but just a tad overhyped.

It really doesn't look different on a 1080p laptop (I played it at 1440p).

I'm sure there are small quality of life improvements -- I simply can't see them on a 1080p screen. It's as if they hastily slapped a new coat of paint on it.

While I'm happy they did this (the older a game gets the harder it seems to be to port); it really doesn't seem like this will change the "experience" for anyone looking to play it. It looks old. Really old.

Alan Wake was always a bit overrated in my view, simply because it was an Xbox Exclusive. It's a good game, but just a tad overhyped.

Alan Wake was not overrated. It honestly was a great game.

Much better than their newer games like control.

Alan Wake was not overrated. It honestly was a great game.

Much better than their newer games like control.
I'd say it was a good game... Not great. The gameplay was original, although it didn't really improve throughout the game. The game was scary and creepy at times... But the weakest part of the game is the story. I expected a great story, and we got an 'ok' story.

Back