Hi, I need help desperately

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaleeAnnMarie

I am hoping you can help me. I have a Gateway desktop (2005) I was in the middle of doing a system restoration and the power button was hit shuting everything down. Since then I have not been able to get it to work.. the Gateway screen comes up followed by the WindowsXP screen as normal ... but that's as far as it will go. It then shuts down and starts over ...and over...the only disc I have for the pc is the red "drivers disc". I thought I had system recovery discs back home (1000 miles away) but my daughter has been unable to find them. I was told by the Gateway rep that there are no such discs for that certain model before July of 05 because of MS copy right laws.
I deperately need to get this pc going. It had all my MS Office on it from school and I need to refresh my memory on certain programs in order to get a job. I have monthly limited income and can't really afford to buy discs and not have them be the right ones. What exactly do I need to do? Please help. I can reinstall all the MS office programs.. but I just need to get the pc its self going and able to be programed with them again.

The Gateway rep's answer doesn't make sense to me but let's ignore their comment for the moment. First things you need to do:

1. Try booting into Safe mode. On Dell computer's that means tapping F8 immediately at startup. Don't know if the procedure is different for you. Which brings us to the next issue
  2. Identify exactly which Gateway desktop you have, what model???? See if you can find it on the gateway website under Support
  3. Then you can also find out on the Gateway website if they created a recovery partition on your hard drive for you for that make/model/year (and what you need to do to boot into it if it exists). Around the time OEMs stopped including install disks at no charge they started adding a "hidden" recovery partition.

So start at the Gateway web site under to support to find you make/model/etc. and how to boot into safe mood and whether or not a recovery partition exists on your drive

Do a Safe Mode boot.Turn on PC and press F8 or F5.
You might have to press it several times to activate.
Then you should have several options of booting to Windows.
Safe Mode should get you to be able to use Restore.
Another choice might be "Last time it was OK"
Something has not been completed when you shut down.
The above should let you trouble shoot in vga mode.
? though : Do you mean the Power supply or the Start button ?
It's difficult to accidently turn the Power Supply off.
Good to see you can post here somehow.;)

Zipperman-Thanks but none of that seemed to work... to answer some of your ?'s it was the start button on the tower. It's a Gateway EV730 (model 310 manufactured 29/07/02 ) everything you suggested I tried and it would just shut dwn and start over. Kalee

Nothing to lose fix

KaleeAnnMarie said:
Zipperman-Thanks but none of that seemed to work... to answer some of your ?'s it was the start button on the tower. It's a Gateway EV730 (model 310 manufactured 29/07/02 ) everything you suggested I tried and it would just shut dwn and start over. Kalee

Start your computer and go to the bios options.
Don't change any your not sure of.Ask me what might be wrong there.
Just exit with F10 and see if it gets you to your desktop.
But thats quite old PC for XP.How long has this installation been OK ?

zipperman..

I'm afraid I'm doomed!. Called Gateway again and was told there are 3 discs (blue OS, a yellow applications,and a red driver (the red one I have with me). I called my daughter again to check to see if there are laying around. Otherwise I am going to have to buy the set and I can't really afford that either. Nothing you have suggested has worked ...but appreciate the effort. Any other suggestions are well come. kalee

Sorry i can't solve this with what you have.Thats why i build custom computers.
Not Gateway and Dell etc.Looks like you need a new installation with a genuine
XP disc.I paid $ 260.00 CDN.I can call MSoft for help anytime.

NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116515

But only if you reside in the U.S. and this is not the retail version only OEM version which means this OS can only be installed on one computer.

I am concerned that your harddrive might have issues but since you can't boot that makes it impossible to do a full harddrive diagnostics.

I would seriously consider saving up for a new system. If you know some one who can build one for you so much the better. Like zipperman I now only build them and the quality is somuch better.

KaleeAnnMarie

Before going the route of re-installing XP, there are still other things to try. For one, let's see if we can't get Windows Recovery console started on your computer.

1. Do you happen to have a floppy drive on that computer or is it just CD/DVD? (You can download a floppy bootable Windows Recovery Console if you support floppies)

2, You need to be more specific in identifying your Gateway model. It's probably a model 310 (EV730 looks like model number for your display screen) but there are many, many variations on model 310. There should be a metallic tag on the desktop tower stating the exact model (or at minimum your serial number). You can go to this link to enter your serial number and Gateway should tell you model specific info.

3. It appears (at least for some model 310's) you can actually start the boot process from your drivers CD. Try inserting the drivers CD when the computer's powered off. Then power on. Does it boot from CD? If yes, what menu options do you see on screen?

LookingAround..
this is the info I could find out.. it does look like it is just cd capable (no floppies)I tried turning it on with the driver CD in but it didn't help. It's just looping from gateway to the windows xp then shuting dwn and starting over

My Download Settings

Model: Gateway 310
Serial Number: 1100519943Edit
Operating System

My BIOS Downloads
Description File Info

9528425.exe - Thrasher Motherboard BIOS Update Revision: SR84511A.15A.0020.P03
Supports: All Operating Systems 7/30/2004
1,896 KB

My CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW Downloads
Description File Info

xp_optical_drive.exe - Microsoft Windows XP Optical Drive Driver Information
Supports: Windows XP 1/7/2005
26 KB

My Modem Downloads
Description File Info

9526568.exe - 9526568.exe - Intel(R) 537EP Data Fax Modem 1.6, Version 2.1.35.11
Supports: Windows XP, Windows 2000 2/3/2004
1,683 KB

My Monitor Downloads
Description File Info

xp_monitor.exe - Windows XP Plug and Play Monitor and Driver Information
Supports: Windows XP 4/16/2004
26 KB

My Network Downloads
Description File Info

9527022_9522927.exe - Integrated Intel(r) PRO/1000 MT/CT or Intel(r) PRO/100 VE Network Driver Revision: PRO/1000 - 7.0.36.0; PRO/100 - 7.0.26.0
Supports: Windows XP, Windows 2000 7/13/2004
40,211 KB

My Sound Downloads
Description File Info

9523937.exe - 310 Series - Realtek Audio Driver, Version 5.10.00.5190
Supports: Windows XP 5/10/2004
4,974 KB

My Video Downloads
Description File Info

9527020.exe - Intel(r) Extreme Graphics Driver Production Version 13.6.0.3722 (Driver Version 6.14.10.3722)
Supports: Windows XP, Windows 2000 3/30/2004
7,131 KB

Related User Guide(s)
User Guide

Driver & Download Options

Scan Your PC
Use Gateway Update to locate the latest drivers automatically.

Driver & Download Search

Keyword
Part Number
File Name

E-mail Alerts

Important Note:

Downloads on this website have been tested and certified with configurations sold by Gateway.
Gateway only supports drivers that are downloaded from the Gateway website.

Find out where ?

this is the info I could find out.. it does look like it is just cd capable (no floppies)I tried turning it on with the driver CD in but it didn't help. It's just looping from gateway to the windows xp then shuting dwn and starting over
===================
Looking around ?
Was this a driver search ?
If your useing another computer to get this info,thats no good.
You have to be useing the problem computer to do this.
But why is it so desperate ? You got here OK.
I really don't understand your problem as it's titled.
:confused: :rolleyes:
I don't usually advise this,but you need to Format and Install an OS.

zipperman

No, not for a driver search.

Looking at the Gateway web site under Support, they list many variants of model 310. As i recall from the quick look, each one had its own spec document/user guide/etc.

so, want to see exactly what the spec and guide says for her specific model 310 machine (including, do they indicate any type of pre-installed recovery software on her disk?) And how to change her BIOS as i did see that one should be able to start the boot from drivers CD - at least for the model 310 i arbitrarily selected to see its user documentation). It sends you to an install disk to do a fresh install but am guessing (hoping?) it might at least include a Recovery Console on it. (Docs don't say for sure from what i saw in it)

And also looking for options to install and run Windows Recovery Console to at least do run chkdisk (if not try other recovery options) to see if can't fix the problems preventing the boot from current disk.

Should not be necessary

LookinAround said:
zipperman

No, not for a driver search.

Looking at the Gateway web site under Support, they list many variants of model 310. As i recall from the quick look, each one had its own spec document/user guide/etc.

so, want to see exactly what the spec and guide says for her specific model 310 machine (including, do they indicate any type of pre-installed recovery software on her disk?) And how to change her BIOS as i did see that one should be able to start the boot from drivers CD - at least for the model 310 i arbitrarily selected to see its user documentation). It sends you to an install disk to do a fresh install but am guessing (hoping?) it might at least include a Recovery Console on it. (Docs don't say for sure from what i saw in it)

And also looking for options to install and run Windows Recovery Console to at least do run chkdisk (if not try other recovery options) to see if can't fix the problems preventing the boot from current disk.

You should get everything you will need in the future when you buy a PC.
Dell and HP and Gateway don't want you to fix them.
They want them in their repair shops.
I custom build my computers.
BTW i mistook looking around as looking around,not your name here.

Zipperman

btw... fyi, if searching for drivers from Gateway (or Dell) you needn't be on the computer needing them. Helping friends, i search for Dell drivers all the time from my D600 laptop for all kinds of drivers for other Dell machines. You only need make sure you know the model computer you need the drivers for.

Also, I see on the Gateway site, you also have the option to tell Gateway the computer serial number and it'll give you the drivers you are looking for, for that particular computer

Is always good to start by seeing what the mfr offers by way of Support on their website for a computer.

KaleeAnnMarie

Will have to look further into the specifics for your computer (which may or may not get done tonight in which case tomorrow)

But i did find this link

Note the contact email address to inquire about replacement CDs. Suggest you email them to see what their answer is (the one the phone rep told you sounds odd to me)

But just ASK don't order anything yet (unless you want to). I'd get the info from them AND keep looking for those disks at home. In mean time, will see if might still recover from this particular problem w/o them (is maybe, not for sure)

/**** EDIT ****/
I didn't notice in your post per what Gateway specs it gave you (unless i overlooked it). Do you remember if you had XP Home or Professional on there? If not sure, may as well ask them that too in the email. But you are sure it was XP, right?

it is windows XP home edition...the last rep told me today that I need to have the 3 disc set of which I have one disc the red drivers.. the blue one -OS and the Yellow one -applications are the ones missing.

try this as soon as you turn on your computer start tapping the F8 key untill you get a menu that says Windows Advance Option Menu I saw that you said it did not work make sure you tap until you get to the lopping problem or the Windows Advance Option Menu. Let me know exactly what happens

OK. Lot's of info. I think it prudent to retrace some of our steps to be certain of some test results (we kinda raced thru quickly earlier). I agree with xxdanielxx. Let's start by verifying the safe mode start up procedure again.

Gateway uses F8 key for safe mode startup. (I didn't ask before but aside from your monitor/keyboard/mouse do you have any external devices connected? Like an external hard drive, or external CD drive. Till you get your computer to boot you should unplug any external cables to the computer)

These are the steps to follow. If the screens you see or messages pop-up etc. that look odd/different from what described please try to describe it as best you can (i know some of this will change quickly on the screen)

To boot into safe mode
  • Power off your computer
  • Once off, hit power button to turn it back on. As soon as it starts turning back on (even before you see anything on the screen) you should start and repeatedly tap the F8 key at about at least one key press per second.
  • The Gateway bootup screen appears as normal and appears no different. the whole time you are tapping F8
  • The screen which follows should now be different. You see a screen offering several different start up options. You need to use the up/down arrow to move between the line selections till you highlight the one you want and hit Enter. Do all the following
    • Highlight "Disable automatic restart on system failure", hit Enter. You should see the command in blue in lower left of your screen. Then hit F8. Similarly, do same for these others also
    • Highlight "Enable VGA Mode", hit Enter. Then hit F8
    • Highlight "Safe Mode", hit Enter. Safe Mode is displayed in lower left. Now when you'll see the operating system line is highlighted for you, simply hit Enter to start the boot up process.
    • As the bootup begins, you see several lines scroll past the display. Each line ends with a file name with a .sys extension. They should scroll by, finally stop, and then you get a Yes/No prompt to continue running in safe mode.
    • Hit yes and continue until you;ve booted up in Safe mode.

Sometimes

LookinAround said:
Zipperman

btw... fyi, if searching for drivers from Gateway (or Dell) you needn't be on the computer needing them. Helping friends, i search for Dell drivers all the time from my D600 laptop for all kinds of drivers for other Dell machines. You only need make sure you know the model computer you need the drivers for.

Also, I see on the Gateway site, you also have the option to tell Gateway the computer serial number and it'll give you the drivers you are looking for, for that particular computer

Is always good to start by seeing what the mfr offers by way of Support on their website for a computer.
:)
A search for drivers analizes the computer that is asking and checks if you
need any update.Besides,
Why can't She do this and learn from it ? Just explain the process.

Ahh

Zipperman

You're thinking of going to a pay-service-site like driverguide which looks at the drivers on your machine and tells you what new versions are out there

I'm talking about going to an OEM or manufacturer web site to manually just look for the drivers for the hardware. e.g. so if you get a Dell D600 laptop configured as you wanted, you can go to Dell's site. look up the model number, and they provide an organized list for bios, network, display, . drivers as released for that model and the all various adapters that Dell carries from various mfrs that can be configured on it. (if you add your own custom hardware, one can just go to the h/w mfr site for the drivers)

In any case, I was going to the Gateway site for user guide and product spec info.. not drivers. so wasn't anything to explain

uhh ok... let me start by saying thanks to all who have tried to help... you've all been patient. I appreciate it. Now let me address Looking arounds suggestion... I did as you said and found that when it scans through the winn/system 32 stuff it get to one called winn system 32/Agp440 or something like that(lol) and then shuts down... I don't get a chance to respond to a YES/NO prompt. Not sure if this will help anyone in pinning dwn a prob. Also ... on the windows Advances Options menu screen I did see there was a "Return to OS menu" I tried that .. to no avail... but on the last time I tried to do what one of you suggested (Looking Around) a warning came up that i have not seen before "bad Image Checksum" and continued with saying the header checksum did not match the computed checksum..Now I have no idea in the world what that means but it can't be good... if this helps anypne ..let it rip.

It's official. You have disk corruption (not surprising given the way your trouble began).

Do have any friends running XP by chance? who have their disks? We don';t want to install XP using their disk, but just get you Windows Recovery Console (is all kosher to do it; No copyright problems using their disk for Recovery console). There's still other options. If need be, i assume you at least know someone who could download and burn a CD for you?

btw... pretty good memory. you got most of it for all those lines of data scrolling by! it would have been Windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back