Hidden radio icons in iOS 6.1 reignite Apple music service rumors

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Rumors of an Apple streaming music service first came to light just after the iPhone 5 launched in September 2012. At the time, we were hearing that the service was close to being integrated into the new handset but negotiations with Sony/ATV fell apart at the last minute and delayed the entire process.

Those rumblings have since been reignited after a set of radio button files were recently discovered within the iPad music app on iOS 6.1, according to 9 to 5 Mac. The icons look similar to the logo that was once used in iTunes for Mac and interestingly enough, have the word “buy” in the file name. The latter suggests that Apple is planning to allow users to purchase songs from within the app.

hidden ios apple ios 6.1 music streaming service

The publication points out that the icons are only found on the iPad, not the iPhone. Limiting a service like this to the iPad doesn’t seem to make a ton of sense as there are a lot more phones in the hands of consumers than tablets at this point. Perhaps Apple wants to unveil the product on a smaller platform to test reliability and usage before bringing it to the iPhone. Or maybe the files were accidentally left behind during internal testing.

Such a service would compete with the likes of Pandora and Spotify, granted Apple is able to secure enough relevant deals with music labels. Bloomberg noted late last year that the service could launch as early as Q1 of 2013 – or within the next two months.

Permalink to story.

Why do they always insist on doing their own thing? Seriously, you have Slacker Radio, Pandora, Spotify, and a number of other services that are doing the same thing. What are you trying to do? Lock everyone into your own super-closed ecosystem? Oh yeah, I forgot... you are trying to do that.

Long live Android! Where the freedom to choose the service you want is there.

Why do they always insist on doing their own thing? Seriously, you have Slacker Radio, Pandora, Spotify, and a number of other services that are doing the same thing. What are you trying to do? Lock everyone into your own super-closed ecosystem? Oh yeah, I forgot... you are trying to do that.

Meh, if its priced right I would sign up for it, I have an iPhone and an iPad, this will integrate much better than the others, give me one good reason why I shouldn't jump ship from spotify to Apple?

Why do they always insist on doing their own thing? Seriously, you have Slacker Radio, Pandora, Spotify, and a number of other services that are doing the same thing.
You could say that same thing about software that eventually gets put into an OS. CD burning showed up in an XP service pack. That didn't kill Nero. ISO mounting showed up in Windows 7, there is still Daemon Tools and Virtual Clone Drive. Firewall integration appeared in an XP service pack, there are still 3rd party firewalls. Microsoft released free security essentials/windows defender, and 3rd party AV/Malware detection still exists.
What are you trying to do? Lock everyone into your own super-closed ecosystem? Oh yeah, I forgot... you are trying to do that.
Apple does have their own ecosystem, but a pandora-like Apple station isn't going to prevent you from using Pandora, Slacker, Spotify...
Apple isn't removing choices here, they are providing another. (If it even turns out that they are planning their own 'radio')

Just about every technology company is trying to lock you into to their services.

Am I the only person that laughs at these *****s that take sides when if comes to Apple products or products that run on Android? Who the hell cares what people like or use? Let people choose what they want to use and leave them alone. This Apple vs Android **** is childish. People are entitled to their opinion and not everyone likes the same ****. Move on with your lives.

Back