Home folder permissions problems on Server, how to set them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zynizen

I'm just trying to figure out the right permissions for the home folder and the profile folder on my test network.. I've got a windows server 2003 hosting the file manager services, and have the directories structured like this:

C:\Home - contains:

bill
doug
mary
jenn
xavier

C:\Profiles - contains the same.

When I go to active directory, I have set the appropriate path to the above folders via: \\server2\Profiles\%username% & \\server2\Home\%username%

When I create a new profile for any user, and change a few settings, or make a file/test folder it saves it to the computer's local account on the hard drive, and the server in the appropriate folder. However.. the only thing that doesn't stick is the desktop wallpaper. How come? When I log in to the same account from a different computer, or virtual machine, some settings don't stick with the user account. I thought the purpose of having a roaming profile was to have this feature?

the folder permissions on the home folder.. I want the Administrator account to have full access to everything, and only the specified user to access their own home folder (so other users cant see the contents)

Where do I set the permissions for this, on the C:\Home folder or the individual security settings on the users folder name?

Any help would be appreciated, I've went through many books, and training materials, and can't seem to get it straightened out.

There are permissions and then security access, I'm getting confused between the restrictions they have.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back