Home Network asking for user ID and password

bmyzer101

I have a Windows 7 computer wired into my home network. It has a printer attached to it that I have set to share. I have a windows 7 laptop and an XP laptop. Both 7 machines can see open the shared drives on the XP machine but when I try to access the shared drives of either 7 machine from any of the other machines I am asked to give a User ID and a password. This is a private Home network. I have no passwords set up on any of the machines. I'm trying to set up the printer on the two laptops and I can't access it without the User ID Password window popping up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

jobeard

This is all normal operation for print/file sharing. If you really want sharing without using passwords (imo a security risk), then you need to google for "anonymous sharing"

LookinAround

Make certain each machine has defined the same user ID and password. This includes making certain the Guest account on both machines also use the identical password

tipstir

What versions of OS do you have 7 which one? XP which one? Might one to think about a USB Print Server to print to all these systems. This way no PC needs to be running Printer Sharing. Solve a lot of issues this way with XP in the network mix.

Sounds like password protection is still enabled on the Windows 7 share. In the network and sharing center, go to password protected sharing section and make sure it is turned off.

bmyzer101

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all. I got it fixed. Had to turn on guest accounts for the printer sharing.