Solved Hotmail sending emails with virus to all my contacts

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

=============================================================

Web based email programs can be hacked from the outside not necessarily involving your computer.
Start with changing your Hotmail account password and let me how it goes.

Started diagnostics but decided to format and restore computer since it needed anyway and I use it for very important information. Made backup of information, just finished installing drivers.

a week ago, hotmail informed me of email breached, changed password. yesterday it was breached again, mail to all contacts with virus.

Should I pass AV to backed up information before transfering to computer? What do I do with Hotmail account? Please advise.

Mario

Should I pass AV to backed up information before transfering to computer?
Absolutely.

What do I do with Hotmail account?
Since we didn't run any scans I don't know if your Hotmail account was compromised due to your computer being infected or it was just hacked from the outside.
Thus I can't advice short of changing password again and seeing if it happens again after clean Windows installation.

Information on External Disk Drive, with what AV do you recommend I analyse the drive, now? I had Mcafee but suscription has ended. I need go buy one ASAP.

There is plenty of free replacements...

Install ONE of these:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
- free Microsoft Security Essentials: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials
- free Comodo Antivirus: http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus.php

To be safe after Windows clean installation...
Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on GOOD computer to protect it from any infected USB device.
Then you'll be safe to plugin your external drive and scan it.

Hi Broni,

Finished updating everything. Installed AVAST and installed PANDA VAccine. Hard disk with backup vaccinated and analized: Avast didn't find anything.

Changed email password to all my accounts.

Still unsure if gmail is also compromised, tried to login today and told me password was changed 4 hours ago (Computer wasn't even on at the time)

Changed passwords again in the morning and ill wait if something else arises.

Back