"House of the Dragon" episode one is free to watch on YouTube

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Season one of House of the Dragon consists of 10 episodes that'll stretch out through the end of October. If you're a Game of Thrones fan looking for some entertainment over the next couple of months and don't mind appointment TV, House of the Dragon could be worth a look.

HBO has published the first episode of House of the Dragon on YouTube, giving scorned fans the opportunity to check out what the show is about sans financial commitment.

House of the Dragon is a prequel series set roughly 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones, depicting the decline of House Targaryen and the Targaryen civil war, more commonly known as the Dance of the Dragons.

Episode one debuted on HBO platforms on August 21, 2022, with subsequent episodes dropping each Sunday. Curiously enough, HBO shared the freebie episode on YouTube on September 1, which is the same day that Amazon's fantasy series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power premiered.

Make no mistake – this wasn't a coincidence. Amazon reportedly spent somewhere in the ballpark of $465 million to produce the first season of its new show and the reception hasn't been overwhelmingly positive. Over on Rotten Tomatoes, season one has an audience score of just 39 percent and Amazon even suspended ratings on its own platform to prevent review bombing.

HBO clearly saw this as an opportunity to capitalize on Amazon's hardship. What's more, the Game of Thrones finale wasn't universally loved. Offering a free trial of episode one of the new series could convince some with a bad taste in their mouth to give the franchise another shot.

HBO Max commands $9.99 per month for the ad-supported plan or $14.99 monthly without ads. Prepaying for a full year up front nets a roughly 40 percent discount, bringing the cost down to just $69.99 / $104.99 for the ad-supported or ad-free tier, respectively.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Seen it already but:

Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country

meh...

Saw it at a friends house, and thought t was only " meh"

its got less of the "holy war with inbreeding" vibe you get from game of thrones, buts got the same long boring setup time !

Offering a free trial of episode one of the new series could convince some with a bad taste in their mouth to give the franchise another shot.
At the least, a lot of us are going to want to wait until the season is fully out before considering it. Maybe even the entire series (y'know, to make sure the ending isn't bad lol)

It certainly doesn't have the hype the main show had (where there would be a risk of spoilers everywhere).

I watch the first two episodes and I have liked it so far. I think this one will do better as we won't have the show runners making up the final season as they have run out of source content like with Game of Thrones.

I have mixed feelings. It looks gorgeous, but the plot is boring as hell. The characters are also really bland and even more so compared to GoT. That`s why, whatever plot twists are about to happen, I feel like I really don`t care. At least, I get to see a lot of dragons.

Back