How can I get SATA drivers for Win XP 64-bit new installation?

dwillard

I am trying to install Win XP x64 on an HP Compaq 6710b notebook with a SATA HD.

From previous experience, I know I need to have the SATA drivers on a floppy disk to do a pre-install when the install disk asks for them.

Where can I get the drivers to put them on a floppy disk? HP claims not to have them.

Thanks.

Digby

I think you might struggle for X64 drivers, unless you can find them elsewhere by googling.

You might have the option in your BIOS to run in IDE or legacy disk mode though, which should enable you to install Windows OK I believe.

Why won't you put Windows 7 64bit..the drivers are pre-installed and you have nothing else to do about that.

I think you might struggle for X64 drivers, unless you can find them elsewhere by googling.

You might have the option in your BIOS to run in IDE or legacy disk mode though, which should enable you to install Windows OK I believe.

Thanks, Leeky.

I checked the BIOS and do have an option to run SATA-only, and this is the option currently in use. I'll explore this option when I get back around to the x64 installation.

Digby

Disabling SATA Native mode in BIOS seems to work.

I followed up on your recommendation and disabled the "SATA native mode" in my BIOS, and Win XP x64 is now installing as I write this. According to the screen info, it is installing in atapi mode. :)

I will follow up later with observations re any adverse effects this might have on performance of the Win XP 32-bit installation.

Now I just sweat it out to see if the OEM copy of WinXP x64 I bought over eBay is in fact a genuine, unused copy with a valid Certificate of Authenticity. :suspiciou

Digby

OK, cool, glad its working so far. :)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts once its working in the OS.

Everything appears to be working OK

OK, cool, glad its working so far. :)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts once its working in the OS.

Leeky,

To follow up and wrap up this thread, everything appears to be working OK on both th Win XP 32-bit and the Win XP 64-bit installations.

First impression is that the 32-bit installation might be a bit slower than it was under SATA, but this might be my overactive imagination at work.

But I'm still having my "Duh" moment --- haven't been able to connect to my LAN using an Ethernet cable on the 64-bit installation yet. Not a high priority --- I just can't register online or get updates until I have have an Internet connection.

Digby

Will be a network driver issue. I would advise you download the correct driver from a working computer and then use a usb stick to transfer it.

I'll give it a try

Will be a network driver issue. I would advise you download the correct driver from a working computer and then use a usb stick to transfer it.

I'll take a shot at following your suggestion re copying/transferring a network driver.

As it happens, I do have another installation of Win XP 64-bit that the AT&T installation tech connected to the LAN. I'll see if I can identify the appropriate driver.

Intel Pro/ MT 1000 is missing fm new Win XP install

Leeky,

I tried to install a LAN connection, and nothing happened --- no icon indicating that I had a new LAN connection and nothing other than the 1394 Net Adapter under Network Adapters in Device Manager .

My other computers that are already connected to the LAN, however, have both the 1394 connection and an Intel Pro/1000 Network Connection under Network Adapters.

I have now downloaded drivers from the Intel download center and am going to see what happens after I install them.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Back