How can I learn understand schematics and block diagrams for Macs and other computers?

rodion15

How can I learn understand schematics and block diagrams for Macs and other computers (technician level please?)

This is one of the questions where I expect to receive ambiguous and unclear answers. No matter how clear my question actually is. Probably because it’s in a bit of a no-man’s land.

I’m working as an Apple mac technician and have some background in Electronics (mostly old anagogic related). I’d like to learn to understand and basically troubleshoot hardware issues by looking at the schematics and Block diagrams for Macs and other computers (like the ones below).

6OWD8RU.png

mBGK4Ri.png

I guess there has to exist some book, course or website making this approachable to a computer technician level. I’d welcome a lot some advice on this.

By the way: I like watching Louis Rossman youtube videos, but I’d rather have something more formal or complete.

Suggest you do internet search on terms "amazon reading schematics" and "london technical course electronics and schematics" and explore results.

Amazon may offer the book with which you wish to start.

Seems there are a significant number of course offerings in your area. Examine any offerings with care - especially, any of the for-profit providers as the terms may seem acceptable, but only if you complete the course and fully qualify.

I do recommend subscribing to IEEE Spectrum (good magazine) and considering membership in the IEEE.

Some of this may be available at a 'free university' so explore this as it may meet your need at small expense.

Block diagrams show only logical interconnections, aka a subway map. The physical layout, wiring and components are totally missing. In the first picture, the WIFI & Bluetooth are shown in one block - - that's the RF unit. However, typically these are not housed within one single chip.

The lower diagram shows discrete components and their connections - - aka the schematic. You can take a scope to any connection and see what is occurring.

In big mainframes, we used the MDM/block diag to locate WHERE a particular function was located (Frame, rack, card) and then began looking at schematics to find the actual component which was failing.

Back