How do I get Data off My "former" main Hard Drive?

DemonVenom

This could sound confusing but please bare with me...

So I had a 1TB HD (Sata) with win 7
I took it out and used a new SSD which I put Win 7 on
Then I hooked up a 2TB HD (Sata) as Storage

Simple so far right? Well now I want to get my documents, Bookmarks etc off the "OLD" drive.
I figured simple like with IDE HD's... but no!
When I hook it up as the only drive I get this message:
[FONT=Helvetica]EFI Shell Version ### Current running mode ### Map: Cannot find required map name[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Press Esc in 5 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]shell id>[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]When I hook it up as the second drive (After the SSD) the drive doesn't show up[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]I tried to put it in another PC by itself but it said something like it wasn't the disk for that PC[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]Someone please tell me there is an easy way around this, I googled a bunch of stuff and tried a few things with no luck.... I'm hoping I'm just frustrated and missing the obvious[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]Thanks for any help[/FONT]

How about unplugging ssd plug old drive back in then transfer stuff to ur 2tb once done unplug old and replug ssd ?

Omg! There is no way this should be this difficult... This is literally a 2 second task with an IDE HD... Have Win 7 and Sata drives really made this so Ludicrous?

The fact I don't seem to find any info from "google searching" makes me think perhaps I have an issue with the "old" drive and that's whats going on

So I guess my problem is figuring out how to get my PC to recognize the drive by itself again....
Can anyone offer help as to how to "get around" this:
[FONT=Helvetica]EFI Shell Version ### Current running mode ### Map: Cannot find required map name[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Press Esc in 5 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]shell id>[/FONT]

When I did that it said it wasn't the disk which belonged to That computer... I will dig out another PC when I am back home.... The whole cannot find map thing is what really messed me up... Never had that before and the info about it online is no help.. I'll try another PC though

So... I'm a wee bit inebriated but, let me see if I got anything from that.
I need to find a specific sata connection and it will boot?
Or
I need to get a certain file to use on a USB drive connected to a USB 3.0 port? And flash it from that?

As you can tell I really have no idea what I'm Saying here!
Those were definitely the best posts I've seen on the matter though thank you!

So why all the fuss about getting the old 1 TB drive to boot? Hook the SSD and 2 TB storage drive back up and get that working again. Then, hook the 1 TB drive to a third SATA port on the motherboard and pull power to the drive and get the data you want off it.

When I hook it up as the 3rd drive.... It doesn't show up! And I looked in boot manager as well! also tried searching for new hardware, updating drivers etc.
Its like I said... It seems like something so simple, that's why its so frustrating.

EFI (or better said UEFI) is the newer boot manager which uses signed boot loaders.

So the fact UEFI comes up when I try and attach it as the only drive... Could mean:
a) I need to find the signed boot loader (Which I'm unsure how to do, but I'm looking)
b) Possibly I have it properly hooked up and somewhere in the process I "Bricked" this drive so it shows the UEFI because it thinks no drive is attached? This is what I am terrified of and really hope isn't correct!

That drive will not boot when attached to another system UNLESS that bios is also UEFI (currently only Win/8).

The USB attached should work as first you boot the system (without that drive attached) and it doesn't see the UEFI and there's no issue.

Now attach the USB connected drive and it doesn't look for the UEFI but rather just a valid partition.

The USB attached should work as first you boot the system...

Now attach the USB connected drive ....

I'm going to sound like a Mo.ron here (Not that I haven't already) but...
What "USB attached"? a USB thumb drive? with what on it?
and then "the USB connected drive"? The sata drive? how do I connect it via USB?

Sorry for the ridiculous amount of Dumb questions... My brain is just fried out from trying to get this for days now.... my apologies!

I just bought an Orico HD Docking Station myself to make working drives a bit easier than swapping them in and out of a case. The Vantec looks good as well. I'd give it a try to make sure the HD aint bricked. UEFI should not be playing this much of a role on a 32 bit Windows 7 machine.

Be carefull - - the point is the UEFI boot is different than the original MBR stuff we all grew up with and will likely fail as being unrecognized.

Wow sorry it's been so long to reply, a construction company "took out" my internet for almost the last week!

Well I have a USB to IDE/Sata Adaptor but it is a USB 1.0 device so it has it's own power source, but after trying several Hard drives in it with no results, I think it's toast!

I also have a USB cord to Sata that came with my SSD... I tried it on my top usb slots in back of my machine but it was never recognized... I have never successfully had anything plug into my USB 3.0 slots and work, so I'm unsure if they have ever worked!

I may buy or borrow a USB 3.0 "card" and stick it in my machine to test, but does that defeat the purpose? Aren't I looking for one particular USB slot that needs to be used?

This is either a giant comedy of errors that is creating this "scenario" or My Hard Drive has been "Bricked" from the get go... *sigh* Why didn't I just empty this drive 1st? Just too damn excited to get My SSD in!

What you could have down is use acronis true image and backup to USB HDD or over the network to shared folder or on your NAS to backup/pc name. If you wanted to clone the HDD to the SSD you could do it also. Both drives would be installed. This is the best software to use to get this done it's mostly booting in using CD or DVD. Was on RBACK project that's all we did for 2 years. We use Maxtor USB HDD for backup if those had failed we would use the server, nas an etc. to backup for recovery and in cases we had too.

Yeah, I didn't want to clone the drive, I prefer a fresh install. There was a TB of data basically and only a 128GB SSD going in... I should have taken the time to back-up all the data onto my External but after working all week with the SSD sitting home in a box, I was just so excited to get it installed that I rushed into it.
I have removed IDE drives and "returned" them to the PC they came from a Hundred times over... Never in my life did I ever imagine that this would become what it has!

I have had no luck attempting to hook it up via usb 3.0 to any of the ports on my PC thus far... Nor can I get it to be recognized any other way... all signs point to "Bricked" at this point but I am going to hook up an old PC with XP later on and see what I can do... Unfortunately I dont think I have an XP with sata hook ups... but I'll look through my drawer of various adapters and see what I can possibly swing... What a colossal Screw up this has turned out to be : (

I have bad HDD just got the new HDD to take the old data off the bad HDD and clone to the new one.

You need a USB attachment device like
Vantec SATA / IDE to USB 2.0 Adaptor
the drive attaches to it and it connects via a USB port to the system.

So I looked again and that is exactly what I have... I didn't think it was a 2.0 but I noticed when I plugged it in that it said it would preform faster in a usb 2.0 port.

I took a tower I have with win 7 and sata hook ups and booted it from an XP disk, when I hook up the drive via usb adapter, the PC notices but when I go into "My computer" it only shows the main drive partitioned as the OS & Storage.
If I go into device manager and scan for changes etc, nothing happens.
when I go to the "drives" section it shows the main drive and "usb attached drive" but it cant tell me anything about the drive etc.
but I have concerns about the "adapter" anyways because of the 4 IDE drives I tested only one showed up!

Sata drives and windows have made me want to never look at a PC again : (

Back