How do I increase my FPS to 60-80?

razaguy

HI, im new to this website and need help on how to increase my FPS to around 60-80. The model of my PC is Dell Windows7 PC and the processor is 3.00 GHz, my RAM is 1GB and my memory is 125GB. Ok.. ive just bought Dawn Of War II and Chaos rising with it and the FPS is around 3! The original Dawn Of Wars had been working fine along with other games such as Age Of Empires etc. But DOW II and other games like Team Fortress 2 and DC universe online have rubbish frame rate like 3.
How would i increase my FPS to around 60-80 so that games can run smoothly, because i heard that an human eye can't tell the difference to an FPS around 72. Please help :(

FPS

What is the model of you PC, download CPU-Z and post a image of it.
The model is Dell Windows7 PC, btw would I need a new graphics card because ive got the defualt one which is " Intel(R) G965 express chipset family" with 256 MB and I was thinking of getting "ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB DX10"
also here is the image of what you wanted...I THINK.
CPU-Z.PNG

FPS

You are going to need a dedicated video card to get decent fps in games. What's your budget like?
well i was thinking of getting a graphics card off of a website in the UK called cex, and i was thinking of getting the ATI Radeon Cedar HD 5450 1GB DX11 which is £35, or the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB DX10 which is £30. i don't know which is better, the £35 one has 488MB more but is £5 more which is no promblem. I can't put a link in so if you want to have a look on the website type in cex on google and then click on computing which is roughly at the top and then on the left choose the graphics sound & vison and thats where you will find graphic cards.

FPS

ok. i found what i think is a good graphics card on the website "PCworld.co.uk" which is called the "KFA2 NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT PCI-E Graphics Card - 1GB" Also this discription to go with it, can someone read all this and tell me if its anygood for games such as Dawn Of War II, Tf2, and other up to date games.
£42.31

Product description

This affordable KFA2 NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT PCI-E Graphics Card with 1GB of GDDR2 video memory is ideal for purposes such as mainstream gaming and High Definition entertainment. The inclusion of PureVideo HD Technology ensures great video entertainment even with demanding 1080p Blu-ray output. An all-round high performer and offering plenty of power at this price point, the KFA2 NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT PCI-E Graphics Card also integrates NVIDIA SLI technology, which allows you to add a second GeForce 9500 GT-based graphics card for up to twice the performance of a single card configuration. The KFA2 NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT PCI-E Graphics Card includes two Dual-Link DVI outputs, an S-Video connector, and comes supplied with a DVI to VGA adapter for hook-up to almost any monitor. Enjoy a great visual performance from your computer for minimal outlay by choosing this KFA2 NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT PCI-E Graphics Card! Find out more

Also there are some more details on this graphic card:
Graphics Processor NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Processor Frequency 550MHz
Rendering Pipelines 32 stream processors
Exchange Interface Memory/Processor 128-bit
Memory 1GB GDDR2
Bus PCI Express® 2.0 support
Memory Frequency 400 MHz
DirectX 3D Hardware Microsoft DirectX 10 support
OpenGL OpenGL® 2.1 support
RAMDAC 400MHz
Outputs 2 x DVI
1 x S-Video
VGA (via included adapter)
System Requirements PCI Express®-compliant motherboard with one x16 graphics slot
Minimum 350W or greater system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A)

Thankyou :)

Wait, what is the site which you are buying from?

You mention PCworld.UK is that it?
Give us a site which you really plan on buying from?

To be honest, A GT240 with GDDR5 memory is the best choice maybe in your price range

FPS

Wait, what is the site which you are buying from?

You mention PCworld.UK is that it?
Give us a site which you really plan on buying from?

To be honest, A GT240 with GDDR5 memory is the best choice maybe in your price range
Well hopefully yes, im am trying to buy the
KFA2 NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT PCI-E Graphics Card - 1GB
and that is on PCworld.co.uk and it is £42.31, and the reson im probaly going to get this one is because its NIVIDIA and my computer is powerd by that and also runs the origional Dawn Of War games so i can trust it. Also PC world is a reliable company.

Well i had the 9500GT Galaxy Edition 1GB DDR2 card, it runs well in XP, but then i bought a GT220, that was slightly better, than i bought a 9800GT Green edition which i use now and its a beast. But i also pick up own a GT240 PNY GDDR5 card( don't have it anymore ) and the GT240 GDDR5 card is better than the GT220 & 9500GT put together.

Windows 7 is very demanding , and unless you have a powerful GPU and CPU, you will not be able to run games really good.

Can you post the CPU-Z image again, but post the CPU section?

FPS

Well I had the 9500GT Galaxy Edition 1GB DDR2 card, it runs well in XP, but then I bought a GT220, that was slightly better, than I bought a 9800GT Green edition which I use now and its a beast. But I also pick up own a GT240 PNY GDDR5 card( don't have it anymore ) and the GT240 GDDR5 card is better than the GT220 & 9500GT put together.

Windows 7 is very demanding , and unless you have a powerful GPU and CPU, you will not be able to run games really good.

Can you post the CPU-Z image again, but post the CPU section?
BY the way I found what my grpahics subscore is and its the Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family and a subscore of 2.5, and also the gaming graphics details are 250 MB Total available graphics memory and a subscore of 3.0.
But anyway here is the pictre of CPU-Z-
CPU-Z 2.PNG

But how do i check if my PC has an PCI Express slot

Turn the computer off, Open the computer case (usually 4 screws on the back, if not thumb screws you'll need a phillips or crosshead screwdriver) and look in at the motherboard. If you see a slot that looks like the one in the picture I linked then you are most likely good to go. Otherwise just look up the specifications of your Dell computer model. Should say there.

Depending on the Power Supply in the computer you might need a more powerful one to be able to use a powerful Graphics card. Check the Power Supply(where the mains lead attaches), there should be a label on it saying who manufactures it and its wattage (350W, 400W, 500W or higher).

FPS

Turn the computer off, Open the computer case (usually 4 screws on the back, if not thumb screws you'll need a phillips or crosshead screwdriver) and look in at the motherboard. If you see a slot that looks like the one in the picture I linked then you are most likely good to go. Otherwise just look up the specifications of your Dell computer model. Should say there.

Depending on the Power Supply in the computer you might need a more powerful one to be able to use a powerful Graphics card. Check the Power Supply(where the mains lead attaches), there should be a label on it saying who manufactures it and its wattage (350W, 400W, 500W or higher).

I couldnt open my computer becuase bacicly im 14 and not allowed.
Butt i looked through the holes in the back and fount a small green circuit with quite alot wirse coming out of it and had a black label saying intel on it.
Hope this helps, couldnt find the wattage.

FPS

i went on to the DELL website and put in the code of my PC and it said everything thats on/should be on my computer, here it is.

1 LIST D05E06 DIMENSION E520
1 DIMENSION E520 VIIV PENTIUM D 925 PROCES
1 MEMORY - UPGRADE TO 1024MB (533 MHZ)
1 SAVE #20 INC VAT
1 ENGLISH DOCUMENTATION DIMENSION E520 WIT
1 DIMENSION RESOURCE DVD FOR VISTA (DIAGNO
1 MEMORY DUAL CHANNEL 1024MB (2X512) 533MH
1 MEDIA CARD READER 13-IN-1 INTERNAL
1 HARD DRIVE 160GB SERIAL ATA 7200RPM
1 ROXIO SOFTWARE FOR VISTA - CREATOR / MYD
1 DVD+/-RW (READ/WRITE) 16X
1 DISPLAY : 20IN E207WFP UK/IRISH BLACK WI
1 INTEL GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR 3000 IN
1 AUDIO INTEGRATED HDA 7.1 DOLBY DIGITAL C
1 SPEAKERS NOT INCLUDED
1 MODEM NOT INCLUDED
1 MOUSE PAD WITH DELL LOGO
1 MOUSE DELL OPTICAL (NOT WIRELESS) USB (2
1 UK/IRISH KEYBOARD DELL ENTRY QUIETKEY US
1 ENGLISH WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
1 MS WORKS 9-- UK
1 UK INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER - TISCALI (
1 ENGLISH ADOBE READER 8.1 (NO RECOVERY CD
1 COREL PSP PHOTO XI- 60 DAY TRIAL
1 COREL SNAPFIRE STARTER EDITION
1 DELL SUPPORT CENTER 2.0
1 ENGLISH MCAFEE 10.0 SECURITY CENTRE 30 D
1 BASE WARRANTY
1 1Y CAR (COLLECT AND RETURN)
1 NO WARRANTY UPGRADE
1 DIMENSION ORDER - UK
1 ROAD FREIGHT CHARGE PER UNIT 1-10 UNIT

Well you have a Pentium D, i had one myself a while ago and it ran games good with my 9800GT and a gt240 i had. Your best bet is to buy that GT240 GDDR5 card to get the best results. Even tho your CPU is a really old. So a gt240 i will buy that. :)

I am sure you have pcie x16 slot in that computer. But to make sure, i would take your computer to a shop and ask someone if you arent sure.

Doing a search for PSU for that model it looks like it's a 305W model. You'd be very lucky to be able to run any modern graphics card from that. Looks like you'd have to upgrade the PSU to use any powerful graphics card.

Even the GT 240 card suggested by others uses over 200W of power(as shown in this chart). Doesn't leave much power to run the rest of the system.

You can find Power Supply requirement calculators on the web, some aren't too helpful. I just checked the Corsair one and it recommended 1000W+ for my system based on the CPU, GPU, number of hard drives and overclocking. And it currently runs without any problem on a 750W Corsair PSU. Go figure :p. At least the calculators give you a ball park figure of what you will probably require.

even if you did manage to put an okay graphics card in your system it will still be bottlenecked by the pentium D and the 1gb of ddr2 533. It doesn't seem that you can upgrade past that. It would also seem that you do not have a pci-e slot so that will limit your options for an upgrade. In the mean time I would recommend that check to see if you have your settings set to low.

Ok.. i been thinking and i might just scrap upgrading my computer because its not really fit for games. So i might just by a decent PC that is quite good at playing games, can you guys suggest any PCs. mayby gaming PCs.
BTW is the Intel Gaming PC - Intel Core Duo 2.7Ghz=5.4Ghz, 500Gb HDD, 4Gb RAM any good i just found it at £329.99.

Ok.. i been thinking and i might just scrap upgrading my computer because its not really fit for games. So i might just by a decent PC that is quite good at playing games, can you guys suggest any PCs. mayby gaming PCs.
BTW is the Intel Gaming PC - Intel Core Duo 2.7Ghz=5.4Ghz, 500Gb HDD, 4Gb RAM any good i just found it at £329.99.

It's the videocard that matters. do you have a link to it?

Back