How do I turn on virus protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only had my laptop a short while and a friend of mine installed avg free for me.The past week or so there has been a sheild with a cross in it and when i go to security settings and click on malware it is saying my avg reports that my virus protection is off but windows defender is on.I clicked defender and it says i also need another virus protection but when i try to turn avg on it goes straight back to security settings.Also on sunday i couldn't get on the internet or my msn so on monday i had to delete me as the administrator and re-create a new user was this a virus?Can anyone help me sort this out please?

Sounds like spyware. There's an 8 step malware removal document at this site (I don't have the link handy, so you'll have to look it up.) Follow those and post any logs.

-- Andy

Virus protection

TO ALMCNEIL, if i do the 8 step guide that u suggested do i need to delete anything or save anything before i do this and will this also give me the malware protection i need and will everything be ok once i have done this?Thanks for your time,Joanne

It's always a good idea to backup your files before attempting any kind of spyware/virus removal. Often, but not always, the techniques save the installation and your files are safe.

Yes, backup your personal files as a precaution.

-- Andy

Virus protection

TO ALMCNEIL, AGAIN!! sorry about asking yet another question but i went away and ate my tea, then i went to check my security before i started the 8 step you told me about and my malware was now turned on but i know that tomorrow it will be off again so can you tell me whats going on.As you have probably guessed i am a complete beginner with computers so i dont have a clue.Than.ks again for all your patience and time on this matter.Joanne. P.S The sheild has also gone and my laptop turned itself off when i was looking at your reply last time so is this a virus or someone hacking me?Thanks

Virus

Hi can any1 help me out there,i am new to computers and i think i have a virus because my malware keeps turning itself off as when i went to sleep last night it was back on and now its off again.Can i download another free one without turning anything off as not sure how to do it or can any1 give me any tips on how to turn it back on as when i try it goes off every time.PLEASE HELP ME SOME1!!!THANKS JOANNE

@joannemaria1741 - Instead of opening new threads, reply to this existing discussion using the "Post Reply" button.

Also please read our posting guidelines so you can remain in good standing:
https://www.techspot.com/vb-faq.html

@Bobbye - You can also use the "report bad post" links to contact moderators in a two-click affair. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back