How do I upgrade OS Me to OS 2000 Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a computer from a friend. he told me the hd 120 gig was wiped clean.
it had ms 2000 nt on it. processor 1.4, mem, 128. i booted the computer w/a start
up 1.4 floppy disk from my older computer w/me os. i used fdisk to read the hd
and saw a 4 gig dos partn. and 2 other partn's w/the balance marked w/htms i think. this computer was used as a server. i went on line and bought ms 2000 pro up-date w/a certif. how do i proceed, your advice w/be appreciated. anxious in commack, ny. james b.

you will need to do a low level format.
You cannot use an upgrade version of w20000 on win me. ME is a home os. 2000 is a business os.
In any case, getting XP would be a better solution. Use a full version.

You can't upgrade from ME to 2000, but not because its home vs business. You can't upgrade because ME is newer than 2000. If you have 95, 98, or NT 4 you can upgrade those. You'll need a full install disk otherwise.

I don't think you need XP either, 2000 is a fine OS and will run a lot better on that system than a fully updated XP.

Alternatively, you can get some flavor of linux to put on there and it should run well, and its free.

Right, but at this point he's screwed either way unless he can find 9x cheap or free, and 2k might be cheaper than XP to get. Or linux..

Many thanks to all for your help. My problem since i retired is, you take a cop out of uniform,
and off of the street, and he gets lost easily. Let's stick w/what i have. Will Me, on a new 40 gig ide hd, work on this HP Pav. a000, which was set up in prev. life as a Server? Once a Errver, alwats a Server? Liniux is worth a try, I'll install a second drive w/linux on it. I'll check w/them on that. I doubt that the tax s/ware w/be supported by linux, Tax Act, by 2nd Story Softyware, but it might be fine for other work. If I become bothersom, don't hesitate to tell
me. James B/

9x, Me, 2000 NT4 or Pro, Linux?

We are snowed in here on LI NY, and I have 4 weeks to try a number of the suggestions I have received. If you don't mind, I will post my results on your Forum. JB

Got your message, Christmasguy., most appreciated. I hace 3+ weeks to get up to speed w/this computer. The olfer computer will not be tuched untill then. I'll keep allof you posted on tgis forum, Happy Holiidays, all of you. JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back