How do you know if its capable of x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

som1dies2nite

I bought a D630 and when downloading drivers, I notice theres x64 drivers listed so how would I know its capable of using xp or vista x64? Would I notice better performance on it?

They will only work if you have a 64-bit operating system installed. It's likely you only have 32-bit but right click my computer and go properties, should tell you if its 32 or 64 there, at least in Vista it does. 64-bit drivers are only for 64-bit so they're made to support that type of system, just as 32-bit are made for 32-bit. For the most part, those drivers aren't going to offer any form of speed difference, they're just drivers to run on that type of system as 32-bit won't work. How ever as a whole, 64-bit has better memory utiliisation and speed improvements, etc.

Click Start –> Run or Start Search.
Type msinfo32.exe and then press Enter.
Under “System Information“, find the value for the System Type item:
For 32-bit editions of Windows, the value of the System Type item is x86-based PC.
For 64-bit editions of Windows, the value of the System Type item is x64-based PC.

I just ran the intel processor ID utility and it appears to. It saids Intel 64 Arch supported. So does that mean I can run x64 on vista only since x64 xp drivers arent listed?

Here's the confusion made clear!

The Hardware can support 32Bit and 64Bit

And the Windows may be 32Bit or 64Bit (ie run msinfo32.exe to tell)

So all Software (Drivers/Programs/ you name it! ) Must be the same verion (Bit) as the Windows (Bit) installed

ie

Only use 32Bit Drivers for Windows 32Bit install (software)
Only use 64Bit Drivers for Windows 64Bit install (software)

Here's the confusion made clear!

The Hardware can support 32Bit and 64Bit

And the Windows may be 32Bit or 64Bit (ie run msinfo32.exe to tell)

So all Software (Drivers/Programs/ you name it! ) Must be the same verion (Bit) as the Windows (Bit) installed

ie

Only use 32Bit Drivers for Windows 32Bit install (software)
Only use 64Bit Drivers for Windows 64Bit install (software)

Thanks for you reply..I installed xp64 and was able to use some D630 drivers and needed some from a M4300 to complete it. Should I just install Vista 64 or stick with XP64? I will using it to covert avi's to dvd if it makes a difference. Thanks again!

I had installed xp64 with all drivers but I can get vista 64 and its drivers off dell and its supported. Just wants whats best for encoding. Thanks again.

Ok, so what I think you are after, is advice on what to install
Vista or Xp ??

If it's between Xp64Bit Operating system and Vista 64Bit Operating system .
I'd go for Vista 64Bit Operating system

But many users still prefer Xp32Bit Operating system (ie Me :) )

This is mainly a personal choice

Ok, so what I think you are after, is advice on what to install
Vista or Xp ??

If it's between Xp64Bit Operating system and Vista 64Bit Operating system .
I'd go for Vista 64Bit Operating system

But many users still prefer Xp32Bit Operating system (ie Me :) )

This is mainly a personal choice

Hey thanks. At first I wasnt sure if my D630 was capable of x64 and it is so I decided to go with xp64 since Vista to me still runs slow and buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back